By Peter Galvin
From the studio that produced the terrifically-offensive animated sequences from MTV’s Wonder Showzen, Superjail! is an 11-minute cartoon series about a prison located inside a volcano, which is itself located inside a larger volcano.
In typical Adult Swim fashion, this acid trip of an animated series is mostly non-sequiturs and abrupt tonal shifts, but Superjail! easily skates by on its ruthless depictions of violence and throwback animation style. Like a skillful rendition of “Free Bird,” each episode starts out slow and builds to a manic crescendo of all-out slaughter. With the promise of a second season, this first season set is being released with little in the way of extras or special features, but the real gift is just having all the insanity on one disc. As an exercise in wringing comedy from excess, you could say Superjail! is like all Adult Swim shows: it really shouldn’t work, but it does.
Superjail!: Season One comes out on DVD Tues/23.
- Still going? - August 21, 2014
- We don't need a shit ton of condos - August 20, 2014
- Why sf why not San Jose? - August 20, 2014
- Ed Lie's support is less than - August 20, 2014
- Didn't Ronald Reagan say that - August 7, 2014
- Except that they've not been - August 7, 2014
- They're outraged but they don't want any Palestinians in - August 7, 2014
- At least we have the - August 7, 2014
- Yeah the Sunni and Shia have - August 7, 2014
- The US and UK and later - August 7, 2014