A carne asada here, a lengua there... some days, you can't throw a stick without hitting a purveyor of fine tacos here in the city. But although we pick them up on our neighborhood streets, rarely do we think about the road that the ingredients in each little tortilla nugget had to journey to hit our belly. Luckily, we have experts to do it for us. And they'll be sharing their findings on taco sourcing -- sustainable and not so much -- this week (Thur/25) at "Tacoshed," an evening sponsored by Rebar and landscape architect David Fletcher.
"Tacoshed" was born of a seminar attended by California College of Arts architecture students, and focuses on the the interconnected fossil fuel paths and human relationships that is involved in the production of said tacos, but Thursday's program won't focus on these interesting, science-y findings alone. Other highlights of the evening will be a talk from the folks at Gracias Madre, the Mission's new organic taqueria. There will also be a discussion from LA based architecture firm Materials & Applications about it's permaculture focused "fish taco farm," which raises sustainably grown tilapia and grows tomatoes, lettuce and onions for earth friendly antojito construction.
And the salsa picante on top of it all? The Spotted Rooster, our new hero (check out the inspirational Twitter feed to grok what it's all about), has tapped the The Bouwerie to serve up the Rooster's meal #56 of its 365 bean-a-day challenge: organic black bean tacos. And we get to share. Hooray beans!
“Tacoshed: do you know where your taco comes from?
Thur/25 7 p.m., suggested donation $5-15
Studio for Urban Projects
3579 17th St., SF
- odogwumalaika@gmail. com is the real spel caster - August 21, 2014
- Still going? - August 21, 2014
- We don't need a shit ton of condos - August 20, 2014
- Why sf why not San Jose? - August 20, 2014
- Ed Lie's support is less than - August 20, 2014
- Didn't Ronald Reagan say that - August 7, 2014
- Except that they've not been - August 7, 2014
- They're outraged but they don't want any Palestinians in - August 7, 2014
- At least we have the - August 7, 2014
- Yeah the Sunni and Shia have - August 7, 2014