A carne asada here, a lengua there... some days, you can't throw a stick without hitting a purveyor of fine tacos here in the city. But although we pick them up on our neighborhood streets, rarely do we think about the road that the ingredients in each little tortilla nugget had to journey to hit our belly. Luckily, we have experts to do it for us. And they'll be sharing their findings on taco sourcing -- sustainable and not so much -- this week (Thur/25) at "Tacoshed," an evening sponsored by Rebar and landscape architect David Fletcher.
"Tacoshed" was born of a seminar attended by California College of Arts architecture students, and focuses on the the interconnected fossil fuel paths and human relationships that is involved in the production of said tacos, but Thursday's program won't focus on these interesting, science-y findings alone. Other highlights of the evening will be a talk from the folks at Gracias Madre, the Mission's new organic taqueria. There will also be a discussion from LA based architecture firm Materials & Applications about it's permaculture focused "fish taco farm," which raises sustainably grown tilapia and grows tomatoes, lettuce and onions for earth friendly antojito construction.
And the salsa picante on top of it all? The Spotted Rooster, our new hero (check out the inspirational Twitter feed to grok what it's all about), has tapped the The Bouwerie to serve up the Rooster's meal #56 of its 365 bean-a-day challenge: organic black bean tacos. And we get to share. Hooray beans!
“Tacoshed: do you know where your taco comes from?
Thur/25 7 p.m., suggested donation $5-15
Studio for Urban Projects
3579 17th St., SF
Most Commented On
- Steven, do you understand the difference between an idea and the - March 12, 2014
- Newsflash to wired guy and - March 12, 2014
- Wait, I thought the fire was caused by a google shuttle bus? - March 12, 2014
- Inside insurance jobs happen durtng down RE markets. - March 12, 2014
- The progressive theory is that new homes increases rents and - March 12, 2014
- Intelligence vs. Cynicism - March 12, 2014
- Global Climate Warming - March 12, 2014
- Which of course is an art form. - March 12, 2014
- The nanny state never ceases in its mission to control every - March 12, 2014
- No flossing = expensive dental visit - March 12, 2014