Film and prints, like dinosaur bones and fossilized treasures, seem like ancient artifacts blown to the wayside in our digital age. We lost the mystery in photography when we introduced the point and shoot, erasing not only the physical labor but the ugly smiles, blinky eyes, and embarrassing angles. Where are the mistakes? The light leaks and fuzz on the lens? They’re making a comeback.
Obscure, eerie, and beautifully whimsical images galore will be on display starting Fri/26 at the RayKo Photo Center, as part of the third annual Plastic Camera Show.
More than 100 images from Bay Area artists, national and international photographers will have you yearning to get out there, grind that advance gear, and capture a local critter with some old fashion film.
A fascination with old school cameras is growing, with updated versions of the Diana and Holga plastic models showing up at Urban Outfitters and antique versions trading online faster than they can click. A backlash to our digital photo machines, it’s invigorating to see a picture lacking today’s high standards of “perfection”, allowing the camera to steer and our imagination to follow.
Cloudy, out of focus bridges and water towers clash and mingle with oddly colored figures and landscapes. Advanced photographer and amateurs alike can find success with the plastic gadgets, yielding photos with a quality unlike any produced by the futuristic models.
The work of Czech artist, Michael Borek, will be highlighted in the exhibit, shots of hot air balloons (see above) and lazy summer days harnessing the Holga’s unpredictability with gorgeous light leaks and inspiring angles.
RayKo’s 3rd Annual Plastic Camera Show
Fri/26-April 17 (Opening reception 6-9pm)
RayKo Photo Center
428 Third St., SF
Most Commented On
- Who are the "many"? - May 23, 2013
- Thanks for your personal note of concern, Guest, - May 23, 2013
- They can move but they can't vote - May 23, 2013
- I just don't think we should be punishing success that way - May 23, 2013
- You misunderstand. I think SFBG should smash unions and - May 23, 2013
- So you criticize the SFBG's personnel policies - May 23, 2013
- lots of music and art every day - May 23, 2013
- Lead story in internet chat site today? - May 23, 2013
- No, what it really means is that if you work hard nut not smart, - May 23, 2013
- Nowhere else to go? Bullshit. - May 23, 2013