St. Patty's Day draws near -- for more wild Irish events, check out our rundown in the current Guardian.
The Liberties Bar & Restaurant has always been a welcome respite from some Irish bars: a place where you can kick it up with friends but not so rowdy that you can't have conversation or a reflective pint. (I particularly like the room tucked to the side with quotes painted on the walls.) It celebrates St. Patty's all week long with a special Irish menu and long pours of Guinness, Kilkenny, Smithwick's and Harp. Oh, there's also plenty of Irish whiskey, like Midleton Rare 21 year, Red Breast 12 year and Black Bush. Irish brunch, beer and whiskey flights round out the week, along with live music on St. Patrick's Day.
The menu offers crowd-pleasing corned beef and cabbage ($14), cottage pie ($10 - with grass-fed beef, naturally), and bangers and mash ($15). Or go straight to fish and chips ($15) or an Irish potato pancake ($11) sporting smoked salmon. Irish whiskey flights explore various parts of the island, from Fightin' Irish ($12), a flight highlighting family-owned distilleries, to King of the Emerald Isle ($8), an affordable jaunt through three Irish powerhouses: John Powers, Old Bushmills, Jamesons.
There's no need to be fighting Irish when St. Patty's is this raucously delectable.
998 Guerrero Street
Check out Virginia Miller's personal dining itinerary site www.theperfectspotsf.com for more food deals and news.
Most Commented On
- because followed by noun should be banned - March 14, 2014
- Do you ever get tired of that trope? - March 14, 2014
- Damn. How'd you know? - March 14, 2014
- You weren't raised by - March 14, 2014
- Probably True - March 14, 2014
- You Should Be - March 14, 2014
- So when the voters vote the - March 14, 2014
- You're touting 8 Washington - March 14, 2014
- I would think you would - March 14, 2014
- The anti-Steven right-wing - March 14, 2014