By Robyn Johnson
If you love hydrolyzed vegetable protein paste and/ or powder -- you know, that savory flavoring that is nearly ubiquitous in processed foods -- then you might want to check out this list just put out by the FDA. It's a growing product recall for possible salmonella contamination.
Basic Food Flavors, the Nevada-based manufacturer of the bad-batch HPV in question, recently issued the recall and its extensive client list has begun to follow suit, including PepsiCo Inc., Pringles, Proctor and Gamble, and Nestle, (and a whole host to come). As of right now the FDA lists 149 products, with a wide range of foods from dressing mix to corn bread stuffing, but Business Week is reporting that the number could soon reach 10,000 -- making it the one of, if not the, largest recall of processed foods in history.
Before we panic, the same article also reports that the risk to the consumer is low considering most foods using HPV are cooked before consumption. No illnesses have been reported, but you still might want to hedge your bets and over-microwave those Jose Ole taquitos or refrain from eating ready to eat products, like Taco Night-flavored Pringles.
And while it’s all very fine and well that the consumer will probably not be subjected to mass salmonella-poisoning, people, including well-regarded people like Marion Nestle, are taking a very dim view that Basic Food Flavors waited approximately one month after FDA testing found the potentially fatal bacteria in their processing plant to issue the recall. Is it time to expand the FDA’s power in the face of a less than conscientious corporate food culture?
Most Commented On
- Live Review: My Bloody Valentine’s SF show feels like - July 29, 2014
- Ed Lee's Twitter Tax Break - July 29, 2014
- They find the experience - July 29, 2014
- Yes. If you are with the - July 29, 2014
- Alix Rosenthal is looking to move up - July 29, 2014
- Barbie gets a makeover, San Francisco-style - July 29, 2014
- It's still a tiny amount of space and not worth - July 29, 2014
- The point is that if you divert funds to your favorite pork - July 29, 2014
- The terms liberal and conservative are not useful here. - July 29, 2014
- ...errr... point six percent anyway.... - July 29, 2014