Live Shots: Fact/SF presents "The Consumption Series," Mama Calizo's Voice Factory, 5/6/2010
Intimacy and personal space play a large role in Charles Slender's new dance-theater production entitled The Consumption Series from dance company Fact/SF. (The show continues through Sat/15.) As my girl date for the night, Suzy Q, put it: "I've never been that close to live dancers in my whole life!"
They were so close that you could see individual beads of sweat dripping down their faces and feel their bodies graze your legs as they scooted on their bellies under your seat. That's pretty close and intimate. Running 75 minutes, this performance is chock-full of emotion, energy, laughter and evokes a little bit of Rihanna's "disturbia" too. The show takes a penetrating look at the many apects of consumerism.
Sometimes the dancers are sexy, flirting with themselves in a huge floor length mirror. Sometimes they are vicious, devouring whole tangerines and spitting them out. Sometimes they are bizarre, dancing with buckets on their heads and cradling huge headless plastic dolls in their arms. You never know what's coming next, but you know it's going to be interesting and beautiful. The show runs 'til May 15th, so go treat yourself to a night of totally consuming entertainment.
THE CONSUMPTION SERIES
continues May 13-15
Mama Calizo's Voice Factory
1519 Mission, SF.
Most Commented On
- Being played like fiddles - March 14, 2014
- The influx of better off residents would increase the pressure - March 14, 2014
- I don't get it - March 14, 2014
- Still looks like a non issue to me - March 14, 2014
- Do you mean the 8Wash that you needed a billionaire on your side - March 14, 2014
- Seems to me the cops were just doing their job - March 14, 2014
- Greg, not every official needs to be appointed. - March 14, 2014
- New England - March 14, 2014
- CCSF certainly isn't "highly rated" by the people whose job it - March 14, 2014
- If you illegally occupy a building then you can reasonably - March 14, 2014