Tension hung over the Civic Center Plaza World Cup watchers this morning like Ocean Beach fog.
The US soccer team faced elimination throughout a nerve-wracking battle with Algeria. Conspiracy theories were abound after the referees called back an early US goal in the first half, echoing a similar controversial call from last Friday's tie game against Slovenia. Fans went through a wide range of emotions until the final minutes when US star Landon Donovan followed up on a loose ball in front of the Algerian goal. Pandemonium broke out among the few hundred gathered in the plaza as 90 tense minutes were finally absolved. Now, on to round 16!
(h/t The Awl)
Most Commented On
- Lost MUNI revenue - July 23, 2014
- what is going to happen to - July 23, 2014
- blaming the workers for the - July 23, 2014
- One Lorde to rule them all: An evening at the Fox with one - July 23, 2014
- I recommend you research the book. - July 23, 2014
- Hasbara bullshit - July 23, 2014
- How to survive as an artist in SF's 'new economy' - July 23, 2014
- Beyond the bros - July 23, 2014
- Blurry portrait - July 23, 2014
- CEQA reform battle sparks welcome changes even before final - July 23, 2014