From the kiddos bravely taking Valencia's center lanes on trikes, to the Aztec dancers performing by the 24th street BART, to the hipster dance party pouring out of the well-loved Victorian across the street, yesterday's Sunday Streets in the Mission felt more like a living Mona Caron mural than anything I've seen in this berg in some time. Hell, it even brought out some pinko rhetoric from the mayor.
But – heresy alert -- the dopest part was the cars.The Inspirations Car Club and friends, to be exact – a group that styled out the premiere of La Mision last year and can be counted on to lend pachuco flash to Bay Area car shows and community events -- launched a lowrider parade from Alabama and 24th, after dealing with some brief mechanical difficulties (you try making you car drive on two wheels and then talk to me about engine maintenance). The procession made its neon green, hydraulic jumping way north en route to drop some more jaws. Or in the case of the well-meaning liberal gringo daddy to my right, raise some fists and elicit some awkward white person hoots. Today the club's Facebook page exults over the "drooling gringos," as well it should.
Sure, in a Mona Caron mural all those Buick Regals and Chevy Impalas would be revving on electricity or potato peels or some such thing, but dayum – every once in a while you've got to give it up for a fly gas guzzler. Tell you what, Hummers have never looked this good, and we support any sign that the old school Mission homies are hanging onto their neighborhood -- in style.
Most Commented On
- FDkUvCUnyS - April 17, 2014
- Yes, which is why I agree with them. - April 17, 2014
- Everyone has known CCSF is a mess since forever. - April 17, 2014
- The Hail Mary pass was the city's lawsuit - April 17, 2014
- All that said, Greg, I agree with you that Sunday parking should - April 17, 2014
- Drivers build in the cost of the odd ticket into their - April 17, 2014
- No, Greg, you fell into a trap and it was noted. - April 17, 2014
- No, for once Greg gets this right. - April 17, 2014
- Why not, Jym? Their findings resonate with many people - April 17, 2014
- No, if we elected MTA then it would be crammed full of - April 17, 2014