Like "okra" or "golf," the word "ballet" can elicit a very strong reaction. Either its two syllables make you giddy, the same way a perfectly sauteed pan of okra can make you salivate, or make you instantly nod off, like the thought of 18 holes of golf. (No offense to golf lovers … I personally just don't really get it). Fortunately for everyone on both sides of the ballet divide, there's Post:Ballet, a relatively young dance company that is breathing new life into the dance form -- and which brings something that almost anyone will find quite likable indeed.
This coming Fri/15 and Sat/16, the company is performing at Herbst Theater, to present their new program titled "Seconds." The show incorporates video projections with eerily beautiful music, along with the dancers' fluid and graceful movements, to create an incredibly engaging and dramatic performance. The dance company definitely has strong roots in ballet, but it is able to meld tradition with fresh ideas, making for a ballet performance that everyone, including golf-loving okra freaks, won't want to miss. I caught the company in rehearsals for its big show.
Fri/15 and Sat/16, 8pm. $20-$25
401 Van Ness, SF.
Most Commented On
- The property owner in question rents her condo in Palm Springs - July 28, 2014
- Bill would tax companies with wide CEO-worker pay disparities - July 28, 2014
- Too much government - July 28, 2014
- The concept of "citizen enforcement" is unknown in law. - July 28, 2014
- Boring discussion - July 28, 2014
- Pathetic. Negatives can never be proven. - July 28, 2014
- Please provide one that - July 28, 2014
- Steven, it has been estimated that anywhere between one third - July 28, 2014
- Although there are thousands of Airbnb rentals in SF, very few - July 28, 2014
- If there is no question about it then you will be able to cite a - July 28, 2014