Many Burning Man DJs get stuck without tickets

Infected Mushroom, shown here at Opulent Temple in 2009, is among the acts booked for Burning Man but stuck without tickets.
MVgals.net

UPDATE/CORRECTION: The manager for Infected Mushroom says the group does indeed have tickets.

The mad scramble for sold-out tickets to Burning Man and the subsequent price gouging by scalpers have been frustrating for burners who didn't plan ahead, but now it appears that it could impact the musical offerings on the playa this year as many big-name DJs and musicians have been stuck without tickets.

“About 25 to 30 percent of our DJs are ticketless right now,” says Chris Kite of the Utah-based Bass Camp, which will be creating Temple of Boom on the high-profile corner of Esplanade and 10:00 this year. “These guys are contributing their art for free, and they aren't even looking for a free ticket, just access to buy one.”

Among the big acts that are still ticketless are Shpongle, Infected Mushroom, EOTO, Mimosa, and Adam Ohana, many of which are managed by Coast 2 Coast Entertainment, which helped book many of its artists on the playa but waited too long to buy tickets for them, many of whom have been on tour and unable to put the time into preparing for Burning Man.

“We're having a small crisis in that regard,” said Syd Gris of Opulent Temple, whose epic lineup for its traditional Wednesday-night White Party includes many of the performers who are stuck without tickets. He and Kite have both appealed to Black Rock City LLC, which stages Burning Man, but so far haven't found a solution to the problem.

Big sound camps have always been the redheaded stepchildren of Burning Man. Despite their role in creating its nightlife and soundtrack – fueling the event's growing popularity and helping burners with fundraising events throughout the year – they don't qualify for art grants, free tickets, or other support that art collectives often receive from the LLC. While some burners dislike the DJ culture, Burning Man has in recent years become one of the world's biggest electronic music events, a status that contributed to brisk ticket sales this year.

“The irony of this is some of these artists usually get paid $50,000 to play and they want to come [to Burning Man and] play for free and they can't even do that,” said Syd, who has worked with other big sound camps to push for more support from the LLC in recent years, with little success (as I chronicle in my book). “Our lineup on Wednesday night, if we booked it at another festival, would be easily a $100,000 night.”

Kite notes that BassCamp's budget this year is tens of thousands of dollars, all paid for by member dues and fundraising events – which is fairly typical for big sound camps (which, as part of the burner ethos, don't pay the DJs) – and he said its been very demoralizing to spend so much time and money at this late stage to ensure they can still deliver their planned music lineup.

“I'm spending a lot of time online just trying to get tickets,” Kite said. Anyone who wants to help out can reach his camp at basscampevents@gmail.com, or they can contact Syd at sydgris@opulenttemple.org. And for a guide to the best DJ sets planned for Burning Man this year, check the Guardian's Aug. 3 playa prep issue.

Comments

I have been to burning man a few times but I have not been in almost 5 or so years yet I cant beleive my eyes when I read of camps BOOKING bands (or DJS) to play on the playa and even music promoters or managers of bigger 'names' looking to book bands at burning man. This never went on when I attended and for folks who performed they would show up to burning man and cruise the camps, meet people who ran the camps and that is how they got to play on stage or DJ at the popular camps. Now acts are getting 'booked' to play........that kinda sucks ......

Posted by burner 3X on Oct. 19, 2011 @ 10:42 pm

The music will flow without them.
They won't be missed.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 09, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

Wow. The stupidity I am reading here. All music is the same. And comment-boys spreading their hate thru criticizing things they choose not to understand. You have to let go, to become free.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 08, 2011 @ 9:37 am

Techno isn't even music. It's computer generated noise.

Are people really whining about not getting a ticket because they simply waited to long? Really? You fucked up. It's simple, get over it it.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 03, 2011 @ 11:00 am

What is music by definition my friend? :) Take a break from your judgements and hear the sounds that will fill that space...

Posted by GuestTrance into a Trance..and Dance on Aug. 08, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

Sorry little buddy but,

I think your ego exceeded the limits set by the tiny insurance policy you call your mind. You don't get to define music, the culture that embraces it does. I think what ever music you like is music, it just might sound like shit to me. I don't know, don't really care to, so ends our get to know each other phase.

Your opinion here means less than nothing, it's pestering noise. Your spouting off unarmed; your pistol has no bullet; your sword is stuck in it's hilt; your book has no pages... seriously piss off and write about a void.

Burning man selling out blows. It's truly selling out, as in WTF it has limits.

It was one place I could visit where I could live Alice. I chased rabbits there; I was chased by queens; some pills will make you tall. Your know, the metaphor for the odd, strange Amazing things you could only see there. Different things for anyone who could muster the resources to go.

I find out today that I may possibly be able to go ( real reason but none your concern) and now this......

So take your comment and shove it u... sorry, I meant -- your an asshole. Being a dick for the sake of being a dick, hahahahahahaha so original, cutting edge, NO it's fucking Brilliant. There's enough dog shit on the web to avoid, why add more.

Posted by MadMadius on Aug. 06, 2011 @ 10:50 pm

Ignorant = Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular

Posted by Guest on Aug. 04, 2011 @ 8:28 am

The last time I listened to Techno, I heard the use of scales, melodies, and chords... elements that can be found in other genres of western music. Whether the sounds are generated by a computer or not is irrelevant. Care to explain the logic behind your criticism or are you just a mindless hater?

Posted by Guest on Aug. 03, 2011 @ 11:53 am

Again it takes the human mind, imagination and skill to "generate" those "computer" noises, sound is all around, music can be made from the sound of the waves or a bird in the trees, melodic scales, chords and harmony are used in techno, trance, house, minimal whatever you want to "label" it....
If you can feel it, if it makes you groove, then the gifted producer has done their job.....
Signed, Tomaso EDm DJ/Producer ;o)

Posted by Guest on Dec. 18, 2011 @ 2:37 am

The only ones who like it are electronic musicians.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 03, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

And I'm not an electronic musician.

Posted by Greg on Aug. 03, 2011 @ 9:24 pm

Same here.

Anyone who doesn't get techno, should just get some Bjork cds and just kick back and listen, and listen.

The form has fully evolved into true music and deep art.

Posted by Eric Brooks on Aug. 03, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

I typed in techno into youtube and listened to a fair amount of what came up including Bjork.

1. The production values of a whitesnake song, meaning over produced and sterile.

2. It all sounds the same, like Orange county hardcore.

3. More repetitive than disco and modern hip hop, and thats saying something.

4. It all reminded me of this classic, which was good at the time.

5. When Laibach descended into techno it was excruciatingly awful.

6. The old joke about the Greatfull dead, "what did the techno fan say when the drugs wore off, "this music sucks""

7. I wonder if the people who started monkeying around with electronic/computer music had seen this coming, would they have sworn it off?

8. There was some interesting all computer/effects/electronic produced stuff at one time, MARS, NegativeLand, Brian Eno, Psychic TV/throbbing gristle, ... The improvement in technology meant a step back in creativity into repetition.

9. Instead of taking tips from good bands it seems Techno got its sound from My Sex.

10. I would rather listen to HAL9000 sing Daisy.

11. It sounds like music made for mid 90's video games.

12. You should listen to the Sonics to see what well produced music sounds like.

13 Or the Monks

Posted by meatlock on Aug. 03, 2011 @ 11:04 pm

I typed in "how to does youtube make me an expert on something" and holy shit I know almost everything now. It was amazing.

Some people don't give a shit about production quality. Music catches a nerve and your drawn to it.

Why do I like JS Bach Fugues, Baroque, Beethoven and Schubert; but also like Crash Worship, Horton Heat, No Means No, Chemical Brothers, OPIOU and the Rolling Stones; and even like the morning call to prayer and some indian classical music which I can't even name.

Because I do.

Your being fucking pretentious about something you "explored" on youtube. Unfortunately reality isn't fully expressed in the current youtube format; at least according to their current API and the laws of fucking physics. Rumor has it that there is a cbyertardation affect on the participants which gives a false sense of enhanced understanding when in fact they are generally speaking out of their ass.

Posted by MadMadius on Aug. 06, 2011 @ 11:31 pm

meatlock, I am impressed!

1. yes

2. do you mean those white dopes on punk down in socal who were getting all pissed off about not having anything to really be pissed off about?

4. Little progressed from that fleeting moment in 1982 when digital consumer electronics was first breaking out and everyone got a cheap casio and a sequencer and was now a new wave musician?

5. Laibach and Negativland both went from interesting to technoboring.

6. I'd Kraftwerk to that as well, perhaps even Ultravox, as is the ethos with punk, less is more.

Problem with music is that you can't go back, only forward if one is to carry meaning. Young people's music, if it is to continue in the rock and roll tradition, should anger we adults by shaking our values to their core precepts with an emancipatory message. Techno only annoys me, reminds me of watching the Jesus and Mary Chain essentially program computers on stage for 90 min, worse, if conceivable, than the Grateful Dead. Yawn.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 04, 2011 @ 10:32 am

You are seriously dated. It's like reading a record player, wtf is that knob?

I'm nearly the same age as you but feel so much younger now. Thank you so much for your fountain of youth.

Posted by MadMadius on Aug. 06, 2011 @ 11:14 pm

You are beyond ignorant.

Congratulations, you are in the Republican party of music criticism.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 04, 2011 @ 11:02 am

"The production values of a whitesnake song, meaning over produced and sterile."

-I don't hear a lot of gated snares or guitar amps being used in Techno. This isn't really a valid comparison. Most of the Techno producers of that era didn't have access to the SSL consoles that groups like Whitesnake used. Every genre of music contains song/tracks that sound over-produced and sterile.

"It all sounds the same, like Orange county hardcore."

- In Techno, the variations are much more subtle than other genres of music. To the untrained ear, I'm sure it does all sound the same.

"More repetitive than disco and modern hip hop, and thats saying something."

- Repetition is a hallmark of the genre and is an extension of the minimalist ideas of compsers like Phillip Glass and Steve Reich. Either you get it or you don't. Most people don't. Your remark is only stating the obvious and isn't valid criticism.

"It all reminded me of this classic, which was good at the time."

It's comical that someone could strip the vocals out of Divine disco song and it would sound like modern techno. And Divine was an interesting and funny unpretensious person, while techno fans are to an individual A-holes."

- Other than 4 to the floor, I wouldn't consider the underlying beat remotely related to any of the Techno that's come out of Detroit, Berlin, or the UK during the past several decades. This is more like synth-pop, house, or disco. It's debatable that Divine was interesting. You think your attempts at discrediting an entire genre of music makes you a nice guy?

"When Laibach descended into techno it was excruciatingly awful."

- I know many people who think his entire body of work is awful.

"I wonder if the people who started monkeying around with electronic/computer music had seen this coming, would they have sworn it off?"

- No, if anything they pushed it in the direction that it's going today.

"There was some interesting all computer/effects/electronic produced stuff at one time, MARS, NegativeLand, Brian Eno, Psychic TV/throbbing gristle, ... The improvement in technology meant a step back in creativity into repetition."

- I don't think you much of anything about modern production technology. Name some new programs or instruments.

"You should listen to the Sonics to see what well produced music sounds like.

- There's nothing impressive about the production values here. It's a stretch to use the production aesthetics of a garage rock song as a comparison point to electronic music. Apples and oranges.

Meatlock, your criticisms are flimsy and somewhat childish. Listening to some youtube clips for a half hour doesn't make you knowledgable enough to try and devalue an artform that has existed for over 30 years. Sorry.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 04, 2011 @ 10:20 am

What's the rationale for going on the internet just to trash somebody else's joy?

Posted by Greg on Aug. 03, 2011 @ 11:19 pm
Posted by meatlock on Aug. 04, 2011 @ 6:07 am

Yes, with you as the captain.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 04, 2011 @ 10:21 am

"Techno isn't even music. It's computer generated noise. "

Word.

Posted by marcos on Aug. 03, 2011 @ 11:48 am

It can be wonderful computer generated noise, skillfully layered into complex structures that make soul from soulessness.

Posted by Nusfrat Jones on Aug. 04, 2011 @ 11:15 am

can't wait for 2012 when scalpers sell-out the event in 1 week (like they did with cochella).

the burning man organizers exploit this as a 'counter cultural movement' - which is so insulting to REAL counter cultural movements. finally, the event is undeniably mainstream, and the organizers can't play the counter culture card anymore! sorry, larry - you can't BS your free labor force anymore into believing they're doing something 'important', and you just lost your customer base of hipsters.

the only people on the playa in 2012 will be the yes-men volunteer slave force, and yuppies. you're even going to lose the 'school teacher on a spirit quest' demographic.

Posted by pentt on Aug. 02, 2011 @ 7:22 am

Hmmmm, how many times have you been? Be honest. Well for this 8 year Veteran and not every year in a row, I can tell you that this is still the best party in the desert. What you claim above has been claimed for years. Come check out The Interaction Cafe. We will show what BRC is all about.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 03, 2011 @ 7:51 pm

I wrote a response to this comment when the comment was at the very bottom of the thread. I didn't write anything remotely offensive. And yet now my own comment is gone; meanwhile the one I was responding to is at the very top of the first page even though it was written August 2nd.

Does the Guardian just randomly shuffle (and discard) comments every now and then, you know, just to keep things fun and interesting?

Posted by Greg on Aug. 02, 2011 @ 6:14 pm

But our commenters are far too observant for us to get away with that, Scooby Doo. The real truth is that we had a bit of trouble with the web site today and had to restart it, so your comment may have gotten booted accidentally. Sorry about that, Greg. Please feel free to post again.

Posted by marke on Aug. 02, 2011 @ 6:21 pm

What I was going to say (what I said, actually) was this: I don't know what's going to happen in 2012, but I'm just looking forward to the 2011 Burn.

Yes, there are people who I feel bad for, people who I wish I had an extra ticket to sell at face value.

But in general, the people who are really into participating in the event have been planning for a long time and already have their tickets.

The people who wake up the week of, and say, "Dude! Let's go up to Burning Man and see some naked chicks!" ...those people won't be there this year.

Posted by Greg on Aug. 02, 2011 @ 7:10 pm

This article was written to raise awareness not hatred. If you care about what Steve is trying to say here then it could help us. If it doesn't apply to you then move on. It seems easy enough. I am very surprised the reaction that some of you are having. Why so hostile? This issue isn't affecting you directly so why react so poorly.
The crew that I participate in (Bass Camp) works very hard to put our camp on for one reason.. because WE love it. Its a lot of fun, and we love the music. We are all friends with the same passion. Who are any of you to tell us that this is wrong??? To be clear,,, we dont care if you hate electronic music or have an opinion on how our sound camps operates. To you we say.....go have fun at burning man doing the things you DO like to do- and listening to the music you like to listen to. If its not us... then thats fine...find what is. There is more than enough options out there for you. Regardless, you will not find any of us slandering your efforts or wandering into your camp to spread negativity with how you do things. Quite the opposite, we support you all making burning man YOURS, whatever that might be for you... this is just what it is for us. Please respect that. If you dont like what we are doing... its easy... then dont come visit our camp. We would rather not have you there anyways. Our atmosphere is one of fun, laughter, passion, expression, and love...There is enough room on the playa for us all, To all you that support Bass Camp, or Nexus or Opulent Temple or Disorient, or ANY of the sound camps...thank you so much for the love and the support you give. We know you get what we are trying to do out there. To those who dont... its ok, we still love you too.... RESPECT!

Posted by CHRIS KITE on Aug. 01, 2011 @ 1:56 am

Here are the items that I think a lot of people have a problem with:

"many of which are managed by Coast 2 Coast Entertainment, which helped book many of its artists on the playa but waited too long to buy tickets for them"

I'm sorry, but... what? The playa is booking talent through a manager now?

"Despite their role in creating its nightlife and soundtrack – fueling the event's growing popularity and helping burners with fundraising events throughout the year – they don't qualify for art grants, free tickets, or other support that art collectives often receive from the LLC."

First, an awful lot of people are actually pretty unhappy that DJ camps are fueling growing popularity, especially when we're starting to hit population caps. Sure we're all going out there for a different reason, but very few returning folks are thrilled to find out they can't get tickets for their friends and family members now because of a bunch of folks coming out just to see a concert event.

Second, the art collectives that get stuff apply for it. The whiney entitled tone of this quote immediately raises hackles for anyone who has actually worked to get their grant money and comp tickets instead of apparently just deciding they deserve it because they didn't plan ahead well enough.

"he said its been very demoralizing to spend so much time and money at this late stage to ensure they can still deliver their planned music lineup."

While I feel for ya on not wanting to see so much time and effort go down the tubes, I don't think complaining that the poor massive music camps don't get freebies or that the BLM won't allow more people out there than the agreed-upon population number (which is in the contract) is the way to go.

I really do hope you guys go through the back channels and find tickets, I'm sure you can if you look hard enough.

Posted by FedUp on Aug. 01, 2011 @ 11:57 am

There a lot of disgruntled people who want to go to Burning Man but who can’t afford the outrageous prices that scalpers now want (from $750 to $1,000 a piece, in most cases).

How will the shut-outs react? Some, no doubt, will stay away. But if a large number converge on the gathering anyway and demand entrance, there could be a problem.

If the organizers let the shut-outs in, they will violate the restriction on the total number imposed by the Bureau of Land Management. The BLM will likely insist on compliance, on pain of forbidding Burning Man in the future.

But if the organizers decide to keep the shut-outs out, they will likely need their own little private SWAT team to enforce their decision.

And if the shut-outs fight back, then …

Posted by Arthur Evans on Jul. 31, 2011 @ 1:19 pm

In my experience- No One has Ever (or will ever) been turned away at the gate (except maybe Paul Addis)

Posted by Guest on Aug. 04, 2011 @ 10:08 am

i have never paid to get into an event i was playing at..and i would never ask a dj or artist to pay to get into any even i was hosting. If these artists are not getting paid to work why make them pay to play... crazy world

Posted by Guest on Jul. 30, 2011 @ 6:45 am

It's not a concert. People go to Burning Man to have a good time. It works because most people do something for the community. You give a little of something you can do well to 50,000 people and most of the 50,000 people each give a little to you.

If you look at it as a job, you shouldn't go.

Posted by Guest on Jul. 30, 2011 @ 8:25 am
Posted by Captain GuestMonster on Jul. 29, 2011 @ 9:52 pm

i guarantee Burning man will still happen

this is for everyone who is bitching

Posted by Guest on Jul. 29, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

Sorry for the DJs, I really am. But NO RESIDENT OF BLACKROCK is first among equals: everyone is an entertainer. Plan ahead, dudes, and consider the possibility of getting new management.

Posted by Guest on Jul. 29, 2011 @ 2:48 pm

Talk about some white people problems.

Posted by Guest on Jul. 29, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

He just updated his Twitter feed:

"i have been to burningman for 13 years, it was amazing every time. I haven't made any plans to go yet but plans always change :)"

"what is puzzling to me is all these debates about how i don't have a ticket. nexus hooked me with a ticket many moons ago :-)"

Posted by Ian and Alicia Denchasy on Jul. 29, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

The unfortunately ironic thing about that situation is that the guy who actually books Nexus doesn't have a ticket for himself at the moment. :( *reminds self to buy a few extra next year to gift*

Posted by Guest on Jul. 31, 2011 @ 11:53 am

Expecting something participant-driven, 60,000 large and growing to not change...

Posted by Nils on Jul. 29, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

It looks like some people have failed their "Rite of Passage"...is there a P ring on the map, called "Planning"?

Posted by Guest on Jul. 29, 2011 @ 11:36 am

Perhaps the article was meant as satire, but if not it proves a point: DJs and their music SUCK. If there are DJs who make $60,000 a gig or even $60,000 a year, they, or somebody who thinks they're important, would have bought tickets in the presale period last year (makes a great Xmas gift). Nobody with serious income who really wants to go to Burning Man waits for the last minute.

By the way, if electronic music were popular, they'd play it on the radio.

And kudos to the commenter who noted the 'famous' DJs could just put their skanky playlists on an iPod and have some other idjit press the on button.

Posted by Guest on Jul. 29, 2011 @ 11:04 am

Wow dude... you really dont get it. That had to be the most ignorant message ive read thus far. I just plain feel sorry for you. Your totally oblivious... I could rip that message apart in a thousand ways, but it would be a waste of breath. Any words spoken would fall on a heard head and def ears. Your about as wrong as wrong gets. But hey... good luck with that.. hope your ignorance serves you well.

All you people so negative and full of slander. Shame on you. If your not concerned with your own ticket or helping... then just stay out of it, no one needs your bitterness. You sit and preach about what a burner is or isnt... but look how you are all acting.... stop the madness. If your not helping then stay out of it. Enough said. Hasnt your mother taught you that if you dont have something nice to say then dont say anything at all?

Best of luck to all those who want to go to BM and dont have a ticket yet. May you find what your looking for. Much love.

Posted by shocked on Aug. 01, 2011 @ 12:47 am

Radio in 2011 doesn't quite compare with the power it had decades ago to shape and dictate musical tastes. I don't know very many people who rely on the radio to learn about new, popular music these days. The quaint notion that you can judge an entire genre of music based on how much radio play it receives won't hold much weight going forward into the 21st century.

Anyways, it doesn't matter if electronic music is popular with the masses or has entire radio stations devoted to it. For various reasons, it has became a dominant sound at BM, which makes the fact that many DJ's and musicians won't be getting in this year worthy of pointing out. Now, there is clearly a backlash against what these sound camps do, which is healthy. If anything, it provides an opening for people opposed to "DJ culture" to show off better alternatives of how to "properly" enjoy Burning Man. I'm sure they've got it all figured out.

Posted by DJ Sham on Jul. 31, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

DJ Sham...

couldnt have said it better myself. Kudos brother...

If youve been knocking on the music... LETS SEE YOU DO SOMETHING BETTER!!

noooo????

then shut the hell up.

the soundcamps and djs do it for free, paying tens of thousands of dollars out of pockets, and are the ones putting up the effort and you got the balls to knock on them for it???... wow...

big ups to all you people who work hard to bring something to the playa to contribute.

Posted by shocked on Aug. 01, 2011 @ 12:54 am

Perhaps this comment is satire. Are you living on planet earth?
"By the way, if electronic music were popular, they'd play it on the radio."
Though I am not a fan, Lady Gaga and Black Eyed Peas are fairly popular, and their music is directly inspired by electronic dance music.
Now that I read it again, I'm pretty sure you're comment is not serious, it must be a joke.

Posted by Guest on Jul. 31, 2011 @ 7:26 am

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Electronic music is huge all around the world and is played on the radio. Go to Europe and that's what you'll hear! Some of the guys that do make large amounts of money to play their music don't just DJ, but are actually playing live. Infected Mushroom is actually four guys! Wake up dude, and get out of your hole!

Posted by Guest on Jul. 29, 2011 @ 11:43 am

Oh, sure, it's huge in Europe. Also Borneo. And 1 out of every people stranded in Antarctica has that nonsense on their iPods. Electronic music isn't on the radio because you couldn't make money off it.

Electronic music of whatever stripe (I've never heard of Inflected Mushroom before, and if I ever do again, it'll probably be at their arraignment) is popular only in a very small subsector of society. Nobody makes money off of it and DJs don't get paid $50,000 to press buttons. What math justifies that amount of money? If you had 2,000 people at an event, it'd be $25 off the top of their tickets just to pay Mr. Buttons. How many venues are big enough and could draw enough people to make that worthwhile?

Yunno, if Katy Perry said she wanted to perform at Burning Man, somebody'd give her a ticket. How come Pus-y Fungus can't swing that?

Posted by Guest on Jul. 29, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

wow.. your ignorance is unreal!

Djs these days can get even more then $50k a gig at times. For the record, there are plenty of events that bring enough people to justify. If last months Electric Daisy Carnival wasnt proof enough, I dont know what is.. 265,000 people over 3 days at the las vegas moter speed way.. or what about the 5,000+ people that pack into each nightclub every weekend in Las vegas to hear their favorite dj. paying $3,000-$10,000 just for a table close to the booth.. If you dont think that EDM is a big bussiness, your certianly mistaken! It is an undeniable fact that Dj culture has made Burning Man what it is today both in size, and experience..

Posted by I am a DJ on Jul. 30, 2011 @ 3:30 pm