UPDATED: Is time travel possible? A Potrero Hill sign warns of the possibility.
Something strange popped up on an unassuming tree near the Guardian offices in Poterero Hill earlier this week. Walk up Mississippi Street, in between Mariposa and 18th Streets, and you will find a white sheet of paper taped to a trunk with neon green electrical tape. The sign warns bystanders of an attempt at time travel.
The picture is pasted here. I've also taken the liberty of typing it out for you.
I'm currently testing my time machine and if all goes according to plan expect to materialize
here at 1:30pm on Friday the 19th of August 2011.
This is just a courtesy note to make sure you're not standing in this spot at that time. Things might get messy if you are.
I won't be arrive in a Delorean, or be naked or be half man and half fly. This isn't the fucking movies.
So what does this all mean? Is there a nut planning to do something freaky near us? It is an actual scientific endeavor? It is a marketing ploy (I'm usually quick to assume such things)? We'll find out at 1:30 p.m. today and update this post. A crack team of Guardian editors will be on hand to find out the truth. It's out there.
Update 1: Something does indeed look fishy, as suspected. Check out this conversation on Reddit. However, as dedicated time travel enthusiasts, we still plan to stake it out.
Update 2: HOLY CRAP, IT WAS AMAZING! There was a huge puff of smoke, and lasers, and unicorns, and roller skates, and books containing sports scores from the year 2012 ... just kidding. What do you think happened? Until the next alien landing or chupacabra sighting 'round these parts, the Guardian's X-files division will be returning to our regularly scheduled duties.
Swear ta god, there was like 12 witnesses assembled for the event.
Update 3: See you next week! Looks like our time traveler had some family law issues to tend to.
Most Commented On
- "We never miss a chance to prove how politically savvy we are" - May 25, 2013
- Some do; some don't. - May 25, 2013
- Because they don't want to admit they're the patsies. - May 25, 2013
- My bad. Apologies to the real Starchild. - May 25, 2013
- Some great examples of non-Islamic terrorism, Gr, but - May 25, 2013
- "I get the wage I get because - May 25, 2013
- "The worst part of this is - May 25, 2013
- "This was not the case in my - May 25, 2013
- You said your combined income is over 100K - May 25, 2013
- So you maintain both opinions simultaneously? - May 25, 2013