The stage was sheathed in a cloak of purple smoke, that coated the dancer's skin as they whirled their way across the black floor. Smuin Ballet was doing a final run through of their piece Tango Palace at the Palace of Fine Arts last week, in preparation for opening night, and I was there to snap a few photos of those final moments of rehearsal on 9/23/2011.
The dance piece, which is supposed to invoke “the brothel, the barrio, and the barroom,” mixed classic tango with hints of ballet, just along the fringes of the dancer's dresses. The dancer's strong, sculpted bodies moved with each beat to create a theatrical sense of old-time tango, whose Argentinian roots were brimming with passion and romance, and quite a bit of naughtiness.
Here's a video from earlier this year of the company in rehearsal:
Through Oct 1, various times and prices
Palace of Fine Arts
Most Commented On
- I do love a good party - March 11, 2014
- 2 of these officers killed my son Idriss Stelley - March 11, 2014
- impressed - March 11, 2014
- Sadder but wiser - March 11, 2014
- I heard a few guys turned into lesbians too. - March 11, 2014
- Guest, I hope that you are - March 11, 2014
- Please don't discourage burners. At present there is at least - March 11, 2014
- The best way to help WOC is to stop inventing PC labels for them - March 11, 2014
- Sad but true - March 11, 2014
- KIPpxoisrn - March 11, 2014