The stage was sheathed in a cloak of purple smoke, that coated the dancer's skin as they whirled their way across the black floor. Smuin Ballet was doing a final run through of their piece Tango Palace at the Palace of Fine Arts last week, in preparation for opening night, and I was there to snap a few photos of those final moments of rehearsal on 9/23/2011.
The dance piece, which is supposed to invoke “the brothel, the barrio, and the barroom,” mixed classic tango with hints of ballet, just along the fringes of the dancer's dresses. The dancer's strong, sculpted bodies moved with each beat to create a theatrical sense of old-time tango, whose Argentinian roots were brimming with passion and romance, and quite a bit of naughtiness.
Here's a video from earlier this year of the company in rehearsal:
Through Oct 1, various times and prices
Palace of Fine Arts
Most Commented On
- Xorauguynabexjw - May 19, 2013
- U.S. Homeownership Rate Falls - May 19, 2013
- Yep, like I said, you contribute nothing to help, unlike me. - May 19, 2013
- True, and we're seeing the - May 19, 2013
- Greg, two thirds of americans won their own home, and - May 19, 2013
- Your "best way" is highly subjective. - May 19, 2013
- Who made you the arbiter of community activism? - May 19, 2013
- My point is clear - May 19, 2013
- Depends on who you are I guess - May 19, 2013
- You're in good company - May 19, 2013