Two excellent yearly reasons to wet your whistle are coming to town this week. Whiskey and wine, anyone?
WhiskyFest happens tomorrow, a whisk(e)y university, extravaganza, and shit show rolled into one. Though the Marriott ballroom settings feel corporate, most of the world’s best distillers, brand ambassadors, and whisk(e)y experts are on hand with classes, offering pours and chatting with guests. I go every year to taste untasted whiskies, revisit favorites, and meet the world’s great whisk(e)y makers.
Fri/7 6:30 - 9:30 p.m., sold out
San Francisco Marriott Marquis
55 Fourth St., SF
Wine and Spirits Top 100
Every year Wine and Spirits Magazine throws an annual large tasting honoring the 100 wineries that had the best showing in the publication. I’ve gone the last few years, finding it to be an event that's more focused on sampling a honed list of wines from around the globe -- including sparkling -- than most tastings. There will also be bites from favorites like Dosa, Piccino, and Txoko, and historically there’s live jazz. I will miss the event being in the striking SF Design Center Galleria this year, but the City View space is dramatically engulfed by downtown high rises and should be memorable.
Wed/12 6:30 p.m., $105
City View at Metreon
101 Fourth St., SF
-- Subscribe to Virgina's twice monthly newsletter, The Perfect Spot
- Didn't Ronald Reagan say that - August 7, 2014
- Except that they've not been - August 7, 2014
- They're outraged but they don't want any Palestinians in - August 7, 2014
- At least we have the - August 7, 2014
- Yeah the Sunni and Shia have - August 7, 2014
- The US and UK and later - August 7, 2014
- But they did not exist until - August 7, 2014
- Wrong - again - August 7, 2014
- "Arab terrorists" are running - August 7, 2014
- The voters spoke decisively. - August 7, 2014