When the Bay Guardian produced its first issue in October, 1966, the paper described itself as "a fortnightly journal of news, analysis and opinion." Circulation was soon running at 20,000 copies.
Over the past 45 years, the Guardian has become one of the preeminent alternative weeklies in the country. The selection of past covers here gives a hint of the broad range of political and cultural events that have been part of the city — and its alt-weekly — in four and half momentous decades.
Most Commented On
- Eddie, you think everyone posting as "Guest" is the same person? - March 8, 2014
- Only when they pretend they could moderate a meeting. - March 8, 2014
- Unlike your cogent and - March 8, 2014
- You got a problem with poets? - March 8, 2014
- I liked that 'spin time - March 8, 2014
- czgDRqzDBkpbcV - March 8, 2014
- Greg, we finally found something we can agree on - March 8, 2014
- Yes, Joe, obviously anyone who disagrees with you must be ill. - March 8, 2014
- Why would you feeble and - March 8, 2014
- Who says I'm not considering it? - March 8, 2014