The Edwardian Ball, thrown by Rosin Coven and the Vau de Vire Society, never fails to amaze — and absinthe-addled though we were, we managed to take in all the sights, from petticoats a-plenty to splendid corsetry to handsome haberdashery from an era gone by.
Despite the fact that stunning vintage apparel has come to be expected, the Edward Gorey-inspired event — now in its 12th year — is anything but old hat.
Between the World’s Faire, the Vendor Bazaar, and the ball itself, organizers of the old-timey escapade had plenty to add: midway games, an artist lineup that included a neo-Victorian hip-hop time-traveler and his dancing gorilla, a carousel of bikes by Cyclicide, Gorey-themed puppetry, plus freakshow performers with tricks that were anything but same-old. Forget slipping doller bills into your sideshow gal’s panties, and think staple-gunning fivers to her tongue. Strictly period? Not exactly. But lots of fun — for the audience, at least.
Most Commented On
- It's not a choice for the - December 20, 2013
- What an assorted ragbag of protesters - December 20, 2013
- I thought the problem was about using the muni bus stops. - December 20, 2013
- Wrong, Mike, that would be illegal is not declared. - December 20, 2013
- Mayor's retainer - December 20, 2013
- Of course, but the SF ideologs want your kid to be bussed to a - December 20, 2013
- First they stereotyped those they envied. - December 20, 2013
- The difference is that nobody cares what goes on in Oakland - December 20, 2013
- No, I am suggesting that knowing someone's net worth, along - December 20, 2013
- That's nothing more than another envy diatribe. - December 20, 2013