The Edwardian Ball, thrown by Rosin Coven and the Vau de Vire Society, never fails to amaze — and absinthe-addled though we were, we managed to take in all the sights, from petticoats a-plenty to splendid corsetry to handsome haberdashery from an era gone by.
Despite the fact that stunning vintage apparel has come to be expected, the Edward Gorey-inspired event — now in its 12th year — is anything but old hat.
Between the World’s Faire, the Vendor Bazaar, and the ball itself, organizers of the old-timey escapade had plenty to add: midway games, an artist lineup that included a neo-Victorian hip-hop time-traveler and his dancing gorilla, a carousel of bikes by Cyclicide, Gorey-themed puppetry, plus freakshow performers with tricks that were anything but same-old. Forget slipping doller bills into your sideshow gal’s panties, and think staple-gunning fivers to her tongue. Strictly period? Not exactly. But lots of fun — for the audience, at least.
Most Commented On
- "Typo" is short for typographical error - June 19, 2013
- Ah yes, KrisKraft, right on the heels of "Daniele" and "AnnG" - June 19, 2013
- Prove it, Daniele. Who are these real people? - June 19, 2013
- I enjoyed when John Avalos - June 19, 2013
- self absorbed ravings - June 19, 2013
- Cafe and typo are not abbreviations. - June 19, 2013
- The Royal Botanic Gardens in London charge about $25. - June 19, 2013
- Xorauguynanuogv - June 19, 2013
- Lamenting Tin Redmond's demise - June 19, 2013
- Come on, give Stephen Buel a chance here. - June 19, 2013