Opt for a night sans sloppy drunks, covers, reality TV, or morning-after regret. Opt for a book reading -- here, we'll get you started with a list of upcoming page-turners.
Joshua Foer: Moonwalking with Einstein
Foer investigates the inner workings of our brain by drawing on scientific research, cultural history of memory, and personal explorations of different memory techniques.
Fri/5 7:30 p.m., free. The Booksmith, 1644 Haight, SF. (415) 863-8688, www.booksmith.com.
Karen Joy Fowler: The Jane Austen Book Club
Fowler is an American science fiction and fantasy author who writes mostly about the lives of women. Her readings will be a part of Babylon Salon’s Spring 2012 reading and Performance event.
Sat/ 3 7 p.m., free. Cantina SF, 580 Sutter, SF. (415) 398-1095, www.cantinasf.com.
Joy Wilson: Joy the Baker Cookbook
Wilson loves butter, sugar, and dark chocolate, and shares her creative and delicious baking methods in her cookbook. We’re hoping she’s bringing brownies.
Sun/4 3 p.m., free. Omnivore Books, 3885 Caesar Chavez, SF. (415) 282-4712, www.omnivorebooks.com.
Kim Harrison: Perfect Blood
Harrison’s newest book is centered on a witch turned day-walking demon who is fleeing from human hate groups. She has fought against vampires and werewolves before, but humans are turning out to be the trickiest opponent of all.
Mon/5 7 p.m., free. Borderlands Cafe, 870 Valencia, SF. (415) 970-6988, www.borderlands-cafe.com.
Aaron Shurin: Citizen
Shurin uses lyrical prose and visceral language as he explores the nuances of civic and domestic life in his collection of poems.
Mon/5 7:30 p.m., free. Moe’s Books, 2476 Telegraph, Berk. (510) 849-2133, www.moesbooks.com.
Pamela Druckerman: Bringing Up Bebe
Druckerman investigates cultural differences involved in American and Parisian childbearing.
Tues/6 7 p.m., free. Bookshop West Portal, 80 West Portal, SF. (415) 564-8080, www.bookshopwestportal.com
Most Commented On
- Thanks El Dedo. Only people who drive use roads. - December 12, 2013
- Most cyclists in San - December 12, 2013
- In the Wizard of Oz, Miss - December 12, 2013
- Very true. I ride my bike - December 12, 2013
- yes, ignorance - December 12, 2013
- They make some of the - December 12, 2013
- Your attitude reminds me of - December 12, 2013
- You just proved his point for him. - December 12, 2013
- Some can, maybe. Most cannot and do not. - December 12, 2013
- In theory, kids and seniors can ride a bike. - December 12, 2013