In a city with so many artistically adept individuals, perhaps it’s only natural for great design to extend to the toilet. Here’s a list of five bathrooms around town you’ll want to squat in for a while.
Viracocha’s bathroom pretty much has everything you need for long-term survival -- a Victorian shower, the most comfortable chair of your life, interesting art, beautiful flowers, and there’s a kitchen right outside the door. Yeah, this place is definitely nicer than our apartment.
998 Valencia, SF. www.viracochasf.com
I’m mostly referencing Dear Mom’s women’s restroom, although the men’s room is charming too. Imagine your grandmother took all of the photos of herself, your mom, and your aunts circa the 1960s out of her albums and taped them around a large vintage mirror (which we know she’d never do), and then hammered a lot of skinny pieces of wood with varying finishes into the adjacent wall (which she’d definitely never do).
2700 16th St., SF. (415) 625-3362, Facebook: Dear Mom
Show me another restroom with labels of Stolichnaya adhered to the same wall as Christian icons. Mind you, we were drunk off Anchor pints when we discovered this magical peeing spot, but we maintain the hazy, old-timey green and orange-collaged walls encourage the inter-drink space-out.
255 Columbus, SF. (415) 362-3370, www.vesuvio.com
Flour + Water
With a view of crustaceans, seashells, porous rocks, and various skeletal matter purposely placed in an intricately compartmentalized bookshelf, you probably won’t feel compelled to pull out your iPhone on this pot, unless you're trying to Instagram your surroundings.
2401 Harrison, SF. (415) 826-7000, www.flourandwater.com
Featuring a chandelier, black wallpaper covered in delicate gold trees, and wooden countertops, Four Barrel’s john blends elegance with rustic simplicity.
375 Valencia, SF. (415) 252-0800, www.fourbarrelcoffee.com
Most Commented On
- Oh yes - that paragon of virtue, ambulance chaser Chris Dolan... - March 7, 2014
- eKwimShrzRLu - March 7, 2014
- You're kidding right? Brown - March 7, 2014
- fyi, marcos, AAA has a dismal record on motorists' rights - March 7, 2014
- Christopher Dolan AGAIN? - March 7, 2014
- So criticizing someone who - March 7, 2014
- Funny, I felt the same way about Jerry Brown - March 7, 2014
- So in other words you feel - March 7, 2014
- That is the Gods truth, but - March 7, 2014
- That's one of the lamest responses I've seen here - March 7, 2014