For the cover of our Queer Pride Issue, the Guardian rallied a group together to take some photos and ask them about their experiences as queer youths in the Bay Area. Go to the jump to hear more from Angel, Brian, Dennis, and Huitzi.
(Photos by Keeney and Law)
Angel, Intern, SF LGBT Community Center
"I'm really excited for Pride! I've never been... this is going to be my first time, so I'm really excited..."
Brian, Recent SF Transplant
"I grew up in Texas. By coming out here I'm coming into a new world where it's ok being gay, it's ok being you you are, it's ok me loving Angel, and it's ok flaunting it. No one is going to say anything about that. I think the Bay Area is where I was meant to be."
Dennis, Poet/Musician/Queer Youth Educator
"What inspires me is adversity, because it's something that enrages me and something that fuels me to overcome."
"What inspires me? Seeing other people display their strength. Especially if they want to help people that are going through the same things they did. Seeing people take a stand for what they believe in... I love that."
Most Commented On
- Sorry they hurt your feelings - April 23, 2014
- Mmm.. good to be here in your - April 23, 2014
- I still see balance there - April 23, 2014
- Maybe but many of the Sunday meters supporters came across - April 23, 2014
- The problem is - April 23, 2014
- Loving clean air and the - April 23, 2014
- Interpreter, not translator. - April 23, 2014
- Yes, Greg is a troll, and usually wrong as here - April 23, 2014
- Nieto has multiple RO's against him and was clearly - April 23, 2014
- Deserted is ridiculous - April 23, 2014