Just a reminder that Wed/25 is the date for author David Kirby's local event to promote his new book, Death at SeaWorld: Shamu and the Dark Side of Killer Whales in Captivity. Check out my interview with Kirby in the July 11 Guardian here; his website features updates on SeaWorld's battle with OSHA over allowing trainers to enter the water with killer whales after the much-publicized death of a trainer.
But there's more, Kirby told me when we spoke:
"Death at SeaWorld also absolutely refers to all of the orcas who have died at SeaWorld, and continue to die at SeaWorld. To me, the whales are as important as any of the people in the book — Tilikum [the whale caused the trainer's death] becomes a main character that you get to know. I used to tell people when I was writing the book, it's like Jaws, only it's non-fiction, more people die, and you actually care about the whale."
Earth Island Institute's International Marine Mammal Project and St. Martin's Press will be hosting tomorrow's event, which features Kirby in conversation with Mark Berman (seen in Keiko: The Untold Story) and Rose Aguilar of KALW's Your Call.
Wed/25, 7pm, free (seating on a first-come, first-served basis)
901 Mission, Ste 105, SF
Most Commented On
- Seems to me there is only one pro-Marsh poster here. - December 6, 2013
- It looks better ! - December 6, 2013
- Its hilarious that anyone who - December 6, 2013
- one guy? - December 6, 2013
- Has the Marsh actually costed out the same kind of soundproofing - December 6, 2013
- If you invest in their "affordable housing fund" you will get a - December 6, 2013
- The Marsh provides - December 6, 2013
- GPD inhabits some alternative reality. - December 6, 2013
- I wonder if people in Washington DC bemoan the bicycle coalition - December 6, 2013
- Does that include the lobbying by unions and transit advocates? - December 6, 2013