Just a reminder that Wed/25 is the date for author David Kirby's local event to promote his new book, Death at SeaWorld: Shamu and the Dark Side of Killer Whales in Captivity. Check out my interview with Kirby in the July 11 Guardian here; his website features updates on SeaWorld's battle with OSHA over allowing trainers to enter the water with killer whales after the much-publicized death of a trainer.
But there's more, Kirby told me when we spoke:
"Death at SeaWorld also absolutely refers to all of the orcas who have died at SeaWorld, and continue to die at SeaWorld. To me, the whales are as important as any of the people in the book — Tilikum [the whale caused the trainer's death] becomes a main character that you get to know. I used to tell people when I was writing the book, it's like Jaws, only it's non-fiction, more people die, and you actually care about the whale."
Earth Island Institute's International Marine Mammal Project and St. Martin's Press will be hosting tomorrow's event, which features Kirby in conversation with Mark Berman (seen in Keiko: The Untold Story) and Rose Aguilar of KALW's Your Call.
Wed/25, 7pm, free (seating on a first-come, first-served basis)
901 Mission, Ste 105, SF
Most Commented On
- End time - May 25, 2013
- Nope, the "other side" actually want the poeple to have the - May 25, 2013
- show times - May 25, 2013
- Advice on Seats - May 25, 2013
- The GOP were also written off in 2008 when Obama won and then - May 25, 2013
- "We never miss a chance to prove how politically savvy we are" - May 25, 2013
- Some do; some don't. - May 25, 2013
- Because they don't want to admit they're the patsies. - May 25, 2013
- My bad. Apologies to the real Starchild. - May 25, 2013
- Some great examples of non-Islamic terrorism, Gr, but - May 25, 2013