By Steven T. Jones
Janet Reilly finally came to the stage just before 10:30 to concede a race that wasn't as close as many expected. "I am so proud of our efforts today and what we did over the course of this campaign," she said through a newscaster's smile that masked her obvious disappointment. "We were bold and courageous, we were innovative, and we did take chances."
In the end, though, the Ma machine was just too much, something she didn't say, not mentioning her opponent. Instead she ran through a long list of "thank yous," starting with her tireless campaign manager Alex Laskey and ending with her husband, controversial political consultant Clint Reilly, whom her opponents and most journalists tried to put the focus on throughout the campaign. "Thank you for believing in me," she said to him. And then she addressed the whole group: "Thank you for standing up for change. You will forever be in my heart."
Most Commented On
- are you agreeing with yourself? - July 31, 2014
- If the definition of - July 31, 2014
- The bond is unrestricted and - July 31, 2014
- Hey idiot (Joe) - July 31, 2014
- Refugee children crossing the border for a better life - July 31, 2014
- The city population stays about the same - July 31, 2014
- I went to college with some of them in the 80's - July 31, 2014
- We need to take action on - July 31, 2014
- Lilli, have you ever played any sports? - July 31, 2014
- Are you saying that we should expand our transit system? - July 31, 2014