By Tim Redmond
Amazing, but not unexpected: Steve Westly joined with Phil Angelides today in L.A. to announce a unified campaign for the fall. Westly, who had blasted Angelides for allegedly dumping waste into Lake Tahoe, called him " a brilliant man" who is "comitted to environmental values."
It was a good move for Westly to be gracious, but it's a little late for that sort of thing: Schwarzenegger is already gathering up all the negative stuff Westly threw at Angelides, and we'll see it all again in the fall.
The good news is that the voters will have already been exposed to this stuff once (and while it may have supressed turnout a bit, it clearly didn't damage Angelides fatally). So when the Guv tries to bring it all up again -- "Angelides wants to raise your taxes, Angelides got money from developers, Angelides is a dork," whatever -- the public will be sick of it.
Schwarzenegger is still very, very vulnerable, and will be counting on his big bond measure this fall to carry him. Already, he's talking about how he wants to rebuild California for the future. The advantage Angelides has is that unlike Westly, he can point to some very clear and different policy positions. He's not Arnold -- and right now, that's a big thing.
Most Commented On
- Mmm.. good to be here in your - April 23, 2014
- I still see balance there - April 23, 2014
- Maybe but many of the Sunday meters supporters came across - April 23, 2014
- The problem is - April 23, 2014
- Loving clean air and the - April 23, 2014
- Interpreter, not translator. - April 23, 2014
- Yes, Greg is a troll, and usually wrong as here - April 23, 2014
- Nieto has multiple RO's against him and was clearly - April 23, 2014
- Deserted is ridiculous - April 23, 2014
- actually, he was innocent. - April 23, 2014