By Tim Redmond
Matier and Ross reported Sunday what everyone on the San Francisco left knew was coming: Sup. Tom Ammiano is formally announcing his run for State Assembly in 2008. Aside from the fact that Ammiano would make an excellent state Assembly member, here's the political brilliance of the move: The only other person remotely rumored to be considering running for that seat is Sup. Chris Daly. In fact, behind the scenes, a lot of local players have been saying that state Sen. Carole Migden would suport Daly, even in a run against Ammiano.
But Daly is up for re-election this fall, and obviously can't announce a run for Assembly (if he's even interested) until well after November. That means for months to come, Ammiano will be the only game in town -- and he can start lining up endorsements. According to M&R, Migden has formally endorsed Ammiano, as has the incumbent in that seat, Mark Leno.
Daly would also be an excellent member of the state Assembly -- but if he wants to run, he's already way behind and will have the challenging task of explaining why he's better than Ammiano, particularly when they generally agree on all the issues.
Most Commented On
- He broke his promise. Isn't - December 19, 2013
- 'Guest' run amock - December 19, 2013
- Didn't anyone notice that Lee - December 19, 2013
- I've already explained why a - December 19, 2013
- " I'm certainly not envious - December 19, 2013
- See? This is why you never - December 19, 2013
- Wow! You're really out there! - December 19, 2013
- You do realize that no one buys those arguments - December 19, 2013
- What Is The Approved "Free Thinker" Reading List? - December 19, 2013
- Leftist quoting a jesus? - December 19, 2013