By Steven T. Jones
It was disappointing -- but not entirely unexpected -- to see the Chronicle endorse Arnold Schwarzenegger today. After all, both the Chron and Arnold are, as they describe him "economically conservative, socially moderate" (and I'll leave off their next label, "environmentally progressive," which is complete bullshit in describing a guy who owns four Hummers and watered down every environmental bill he's signed, including the much ballyhooed global warming measure).
Yet what I do find truly amazing in this endorsement is the Chron's failure to mention, among the two areas in which they've differed from the governor, Arnold's veto of legislation that would have legalized same-sex marriage. This was arguably the most important bill of Arnold's tenure, one approved only thorugh the tenacity of our own Assembly member Mark Leno, one Arnold had previously pledge to support. This shameful and telling omission provides further evidence that the Chron is a paper of the suburbs and middle America, not this proudly progressive city.
Most Commented On
- Global Climate Warming - March 12, 2014
- Which of course is an art form. - March 12, 2014
- The nanny state never ceases in its mission to control every - March 12, 2014
- No flossing = expensive dental visit - March 12, 2014
- Different Strokes - March 12, 2014
- No, that would defeat the whole purpose of shuttles - March 12, 2014
- Wheelie - March 12, 2014
- It was a gentle, light-hearted parody of the kind of people who - March 12, 2014
- Distraction from Reality does NOT change TRUTH ... - March 12, 2014
- The rule is four or maybe - March 12, 2014