By Steven T. Jones
I just got another call from Warren Hellman, who said he was saddened to see a group he founded but later disavowed -- the sleazy conservative attack organization SFSOS -- is one of the only groups in town to oppose the school bond measure Proposition A, which Hellman actively supports (his band will even be playing the campaign's election night party at Slim's tonight).
"For once, there is goodwill all around on something," Hellman said of the school bond, which business groups such Committee on Jobs and progressives such as the SF People's Organization enthusiastically support.
But he's ashamed to see SFSOS opposing it, sending messages of concern to the group's leader, Wade Randlett, and funder, Don Fisher, asking the group to send a message to its list noting that most business groups support it.
"It's a personal vendetta on the part of the guy who runs SFSOS," Hellman said.
That guy, Randlett, suddenly started attacking the school district last year when the superintendent was at odds with the school board. Randlett was secretly having an extramarital affair at the time with the superintendent's spokesperson Lorna Ho (Randlett has since left his wife, Tamsin Randlett, and is still with Ho), which seemed to have been what prompted SFSOS to flip its focus from parks and potholes to the schools. And apparently, Randlett holds a grudge like few others, so he's urging voters to deny needed school facilities to the kids. It's a telling testament to the guy and the group that is leading the attacks on Chris Daly and openly supporting challenger Rob Black. It's not too late to grab a Daly sign from his 16th and Mission HQ and do everything you can to keep this kind of sleaze out of City Hall.
Most Commented On
- The difference is that only the owners pay taxes on the building - July 11, 2014
- Wrong, rent controlled rents are subsidized at all points - July 11, 2014
- Easy to answer, Steven. - July 11, 2014
- Nothing runs on a charity model except charities - July 11, 2014
- No, clearly Campos hasn't found enough money - July 11, 2014
- You missed his point. The asset here is a SEIU asset and - July 11, 2014
- Peskin 0 - Homes for San Franciscans 1 - July 11, 2014
- For profit businesses don't - July 11, 2014
- I'm confused by your comment. - July 11, 2014
- rent control is not a subsidy. - July 11, 2014