By Tim Redmond
The big news of the night is that Mayor Gavin Newsom is taking a serious beating. The two candidates he invested the most time and political capital in -- Rob Black and Doug Chan -- are both going down to a clear defeat. In District 4, Chan has pretty much dropped off the map, with Ed Jew, Ron Dudum and Jaynry Mak locked in a close struggle for first place. This race will almost certainly come down to the IRV runoff.
"The mayor may be popular, but he has no coat tails," Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi told me.
The bigger story is how little impact big money has had in district elections. If Daly pulls it out, and it looks like he will, and Chan loses, which is almost certain at this point, then it's a sign that downtown really can't buy district races.
Most Commented On
- Renters subsidize homeowners - May 23, 2013
- If selfish people didn't want more - May 23, 2013
- Real estate owning - May 23, 2013
- Here is an example of Mr. - May 23, 2013
- Seven or Three - May 23, 2013
- Angel's a truth-sayer - May 23, 2013
- The Angel strategy is working - May 23, 2013
- Straight facts, and some supposition - May 23, 2013
- Mr. Perkins is lying about - May 23, 2013
- no constitutional right to evict tenants - May 23, 2013