by Amanda Witherell
Here's another, less lauded "San Francisco value." Page A18 of the November 14 New York Times (sorry, folks...they don't seem to have it online...) had a tally of the most expensive House races in millions spent. It shows that those who spent the most, lost the most. Just like here in San Francisco!
Republicans outspent Democrats in nearly all the seats the chart lists, and the races they won, they only spent marginally more than their foes. The only Dems to beat them in dollars were Maria Cantwell over Mike McGavick, Bill Nelson over Katherine Harris, and Hillary Clinton over John Spencer (We know where that money's really going...)
The races where spending was relatively equal, for the most part, Republicans edged Democrats -- and yet that party is still opposed to reasonable campaign finance reforms. Maybe they like spending money. I've never run for office...maybe it's like a really posh shopping spree.
Most Commented On
- With one exception, everyone - April 16, 2014
- "The problem is that the - April 16, 2014
- Now we're getting somewhere. - April 16, 2014
- Hard-working Asian city? Love it. - April 16, 2014
- Benito as in Mussolini? - April 16, 2014
- Sssh... a movement like this - April 16, 2014
- New students are not enrolling at CCSF because they see it is - April 16, 2014
- The case against CCSF is so compelling that no appeal is - April 16, 2014
- People like Greg always call anyone who disagrees with their - April 16, 2014
- Except that there is not a shred of evidence that the death of - April 16, 2014