by Amanda Witherell
Here's another, less lauded "San Francisco value." Page A18 of the November 14 New York Times (sorry, folks...they don't seem to have it online...) had a tally of the most expensive House races in millions spent. It shows that those who spent the most, lost the most. Just like here in San Francisco!
Republicans outspent Democrats in nearly all the seats the chart lists, and the races they won, they only spent marginally more than their foes. The only Dems to beat them in dollars were Maria Cantwell over Mike McGavick, Bill Nelson over Katherine Harris, and Hillary Clinton over John Spencer (We know where that money's really going...)
The races where spending was relatively equal, for the most part, Republicans edged Democrats -- and yet that party is still opposed to reasonable campaign finance reforms. Maybe they like spending money. I've never run for office...maybe it's like a really posh shopping spree.
Most Commented On
- The brand here was designed - June 19, 2013
- nope, I meant apostrophes - June 19, 2013
- Back to reality, anon guest. - June 19, 2013
- No, Marcos, an ideology that cannot tolerate dissent, nor - June 19, 2013
- Any chance you'll post your - June 19, 2013
- compensation - June 19, 2013
- In the same way that Redmond - June 19, 2013
- I think "Admin" meant "quotes" and not "apostrophes". - June 19, 2013
- I wouldn't say that the Progressives had many "admirable wins". - June 19, 2013
- Every politician understands the need for co-operation and - June 19, 2013