By Steven T. Jones
We're getting several calls -- but no callbacks from the Mayor's Office yet -- from people interested in attending Mayor Gavin Newsom's townhall meeting this Saturday who are being told by the mayor's Communications Office that the event is RSVP only. That's a surprise to us, those who have followed the issue of how Newsom is refusing Prop. I's request that he appear for a dialogue with the Board of Supervisors once a month, and those who read our cover story on the issue this week. To make matters worse, the mayor's people reportedly sent an e-mail to his supporters urging them to RSVP and attend the event, thus ensuring a supportive audience. As I said, I haven't confirmed this yet because the mayor's people haven't returned my calls and e-mails for three days. So much for wanting to make himself more accessible to the public, as Newsom argued the town hall would done when you opted to substitute that for real political dialogue in City Hall. I plan to be there on Saturday anyway. How about you?
P.S. I just got the e-mail that Newsom sent out to his friendlies. It seems the fix is in:
Subject: Re: invite to Sat Public Hearing
Join Mayor Gavin Newsom for the first Policy Townhall - space is limited...
Dear Community Members,
Please join Mayor Gavin Newsom & members of the City's elected family
at the first monthly Policy Townhall for a community discussion on homelessness
This is an opportunity to learn about the City's efforts to end chronic homelessness and a
chance to lend your voice – and share your ideas – to help solve this problem.
Saturday, January 13, 2007 at 10:00 a.m.
Richmond Recreation Center 251 18th Avenue (between California & Clement)
San Francisco, California 94121
Space is limited so please RSVP to 415 554 6110 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Most Commented On
- thats great - December 12, 2013
- Discover how to make money - December 12, 2013
- Essay writing help - December 12, 2013
- There She Goes Again" to - December 12, 2013
- Drive jacket - December 12, 2013
- Study Medicine (MBBS/ MD/ MS) in India/ Overseas - December 12, 2013
- Why isn't the Department of - December 11, 2013
- "I'm getting tired of trying - December 11, 2013
- Oh there you go again off the - December 11, 2013
- "The internet allows every - December 11, 2013