by Sarah Phelan
Photographer Jack Gesheidt (he of rollerblading naked through San Francisco fame) just called to alert me that the website for the group organizing the ongoing efforts to save the beautiful mature Coast Live Oaks is http://www.saveoaks.com.
I mistakenly posted http://www.savetheoaks.com link in our print version this week, thereby misdirecting readers to a site about the Bacterial Leaf Scorch plague in the Delaware Valley. Oops.
What I meant to do was send readers to http://saveoaks.com a site which educates people about UC Berkeley’s plans to make a bunch of squirrels, birds and beetles homeless so they can build a stadium on a fault line.
While on the phone, Gesheidt shared details of last weekend’s shoot to save Berkeley’s Memorial Grove. The shoot involved about 75 souls, who braved sub optimum temperatures and bared all, in an effort to save 38 Coast Live Oaks from being axed.
‘The Police came and did their bluster, telling us we’d be arrested if we proceeded, at which point about 5 people wandered off, while 5 others wandered in,” Gescheidt recalls.
‘The police, no sunglasses in the way, looked me in the eye and told me that we’d be in violation of public nudity ordinances and subject to arrest, but then they left us alone.”
After that, Gescheidt and his volunteer models did a “dressed rehearsal”, before taking it off while a clutch of 100 spectators and the running dogs of the press looked on.
“With the police being there, I didn’t feel we could do this lazily,” Gescheidt says. “We lay down to connect with the earth.”
To see more pix from Gescheidt’s beautiful shoot, go to http://jackphoto.com/images/tree/berkeley.html which is part of his TreeSpirit Project web page. I think you'll agree that flesh on--and under bark--really is worth saving.
Most Commented On
- tqofVkihgbk - April 19, 2014
- Wiener’s resolution to study waterfront initiative written by - April 19, 2014
- A GREAT SPELL CASTER THAT HELP ME WITH MY FAMILY ISSUES - April 19, 2014
- And you can't get past your - April 19, 2014
- That is what the city is saying - April 19, 2014
- We as in who the hell u think - April 19, 2014
- N who r u Really?? - April 19, 2014
- What political BS who gives a - April 19, 2014
- Life is beautiful. Let's go - April 19, 2014
- Nieto was a nutjob with a gun - April 19, 2014