By Tim Redmond
The race for state Senate in San Francisco is getting more crowded: Joe Veronese, son of former Sup. Angela Alioto, appears to be ready to jump into the race. Fog City Journal had the scoop today:
Fog City has it on good authority (you can bet the farm!) Police Commissioner Joe Alioto-Veronese will, within two weeks, declare his candidacy for the 2008 California Senate District 3 race, taking on incumbent Senator Carole Migden and challenger Assemblymember Mark Leno.
I called Veronese, and he's not by any means denying it. "We will be making an announcement very shortly," he told me. I think that sounds like a go.
The politics of this are interesting: The polling data right now shows Migden well ahead in Marin County; Leno says his polls show him ahead in San Francisco. Adding more candidates to the mix in the city makes it all more confusing -- and if Sup. Aaron Peskin jumps in, too (which he has threatened to do), that would take progressive votes from Leno and help Migden.
Egads. The election is still a year away.
BTW, I asked Veronese what case he would make for his election, and he told me: "My family has always been about public service." He'll need a little more in the way of issue than that.
Most Commented On
- Bill would tax companies with wide CEO-worker pay disparities - July 31, 2014
- sgyMlTICwBXusOZI - July 31, 2014
- Hello, i am glad to read the - July 31, 2014
- Russia's Olympic moment: Let's really gay this f*cker up - July 30, 2014
- Government smackdown - July 30, 2014
- AqzRCSYUftu - July 30, 2014
- Tale of two parties: Was the 8 Washington defeat a referendum - July 30, 2014
- Barbie gets a makeover, San Francisco-style - July 30, 2014
- Sweet, psyched-out, and dirty - July 30, 2014
- Call to action issued at San Francisco vigil for Trayvon Martin - July 30, 2014