By Tim Redmond
The race for state Senate in San Francisco is getting more crowded: Joe Veronese, son of former Sup. Angela Alioto, appears to be ready to jump into the race. Fog City Journal had the scoop today:
Fog City has it on good authority (you can bet the farm!) Police Commissioner Joe Alioto-Veronese will, within two weeks, declare his candidacy for the 2008 California Senate District 3 race, taking on incumbent Senator Carole Migden and challenger Assemblymember Mark Leno.
I called Veronese, and he's not by any means denying it. "We will be making an announcement very shortly," he told me. I think that sounds like a go.
The politics of this are interesting: The polling data right now shows Migden well ahead in Marin County; Leno says his polls show him ahead in San Francisco. Adding more candidates to the mix in the city makes it all more confusing -- and if Sup. Aaron Peskin jumps in, too (which he has threatened to do), that would take progressive votes from Leno and help Migden.
Egads. The election is still a year away.
BTW, I asked Veronese what case he would make for his election, and he told me: "My family has always been about public service." He'll need a little more in the way of issue than that.
Most Commented On
- Like your love of transit experts - July 25, 2014
- Follow the Money - July 25, 2014
- Chiu introduces legislation to regulate Airbnb and short-term - July 25, 2014
- CIVBkItdZd - July 25, 2014
- Gourmand or gourmet? - July 25, 2014
- Vote the bums out - July 25, 2014
- Why did you ask him about royalties? - July 25, 2014
- More racism from Greg - July 25, 2014
- Work on your reading comprehension - July 25, 2014
- Shut up, troll. - July 25, 2014