By Steven T. Jones
I've been sitting on this tip/rumor for a week and I'm increasingly led to believe it's true -- plus, I mentioned it last night on the City Desk NewsHour television show -- so I'm just going to throw it out there: we hear that the Mayor's Office is considering a plan to replace Sup. Ed Jew with Assessor Phil Ting, then move Sup. Gerardo Sandoval into the Assessor's post and appoint an ally into Sandoval's Dist. 11 seat. The move -- reminiscent of his triple play that put Sean Elsbernd on the board -- would break away a semi-regular progressive vote and give the mayor an additional vote on the board.
I've contacted all the principals and only heard back so far from a representative for Ting, who told me, "He has not been talking to the mayor about this." But his name continues to be dropped in the Chronicle and elsewhere as a possible Jew replacement. Sandoval hasn't returned my calls or e-mails, which seems fishy, and he ran for the job last time so it's clear that he wants it.
I'll add comments to this post as I hear back from the mayor's office or otherwise get more information. And if you have any additional info or speculation who Newsom would appoint to the D11 seat, please post as well.
Most Commented On
- Remember what started this - July 27, 2014
- Go back to your mother's basement, troll - July 27, 2014
- San Francisco needs more buses, less cars - July 27, 2014
- Left out - July 27, 2014
- JbqSETCBdCoSL - July 27, 2014
- Where I was on the day President Kennedy was shot - July 27, 2014
- And joysticks for all - July 27, 2014
- Marcos' Judaism is relevant only when it comes to - July 27, 2014
- hqQqnukbsN - July 27, 2014
- mvajoCbAui - July 27, 2014