By Tim Redmond
Thanks in part to a San Francisco legislator, a bill to reform police secrecy is dead in the water. SB 1019, by state Sen. Gloria Romero of Los Angeles, did in the Assembly Public Safety Committee when not a single committee member would move to consider the bill. Assembly member FIona Ma, who represents San Francisco, sits on the committee; she as among those who killed the bill.
BeyondChron has a pretty good summary of this, including the astonishing information that one of the police unions threatened to scutle the Legislature's attempt to amend term limits if this bill passes.
The bill is still (barely) alive, and could come back for reconsideration -- if Ma would stip kowtowing to the cops and agree to at least bring it up for a vote.
Most Commented On
- WSTIplStATvoUMI - April 18, 2014
- tifhALBCiBgXohWZjVNj - April 18, 2014
- QcWUdNcXLTWG - April 18, 2014
- FLkyXhOlYKUEYFqR - April 18, 2014
- MaTyjnUVgg - April 18, 2014
- OcyjxZQpLjtVfDgtVQa - April 18, 2014
- ZHXpfhPVpo - April 18, 2014
- NwANHRyAHtphIaBTNZKi - April 18, 2014
- Wrong, Steven, the "Guest" made no cogent arguments. - April 18, 2014
- I like the band - April 18, 2014