By Tim Redmond
Back in the early 1980s, San Francisco's Public Media Center did a campaign against PG&E's Diablo Canyon nuclear plant with a slogan that read:
"A nuclear plant on an earthquake fault? PG&E is making the mistake of our lives."
You see, Diablo's built right smack atop the active Hosgri Fault.
PG&E has always insisted that there's no problem, that the plant is perfectly safe, that even a severe quake wouldn't cause any problems.
I'm sure the folks at Tokyo Electric Power said the same thing.
Except that their nuke just spilled some radioactive shit into the ocean, had to be shut down and is sparking calls for better nuclear safety. In fact, Japan, which has invested heavily in nukes, is starting to have some second thoughts.
I wonder what all the pro-nukers will be saying after the inevitable big quake hits San Luis Obispo and Diablo becomes a massive safety hazard. Maybe they'll realize they made the mistake of our lives.
Most Commented On
- Say, that's a stunning full - April 24, 2014
- That's exactly why she cannot be trusted - April 24, 2014
- Imagine an international SEIU - April 24, 2014
- this is the best spell caster in the world - April 24, 2014
- My Name is Mr James smith .I - April 24, 2014
- What works, systemically? - April 24, 2014
- Miss Precious Nzunde can destroy your puppetmaster!!! - April 24, 2014
- A REAL SPELL CASTER - April 24, 2014
- the great spell caster that saved my marriage - April 24, 2014
- My name is jenifer and i live - April 24, 2014