By Tim Redmond
The Fair Political Practices Commission is investigating whether state Sen. Carole Migden violated campaign finance laws. That's not the first time a local politician has been investigated and it won't be the last, but this one has some odd and potentially very significant twists.
For one thing, Migden's campaign manager admits that the charges are "absolutely legitimate." And if one of the key allegations is true -- that Midgen illegally transfered $1 million from an Assembly race account and another $500,000 from a Board of Equalizaton race account to her state Senate campaign coffers -- then she may have a real problem. She may have to stop spending that money -- if if she did that, her financial advantage over challenger Mark Leno would evaporate.
Most Commented On
- So any landlord who might have Ellised next year or the year - April 16, 2014
- Muni has an abysmal farebox recovery rate as it is - April 16, 2014
- "Planetary climate emergency!!!" - April 16, 2014
- Yeah, glad they made Muni - April 16, 2014
- There was a long discussion here a couple of weeks ago - April 16, 2014
- 100% Clean & Renewable By 2050 Is The New Climate Goal - April 16, 2014
- At minimum, the major arterial routes into downtown could be - April 16, 2014
- This is not what California - April 16, 2014
- How would you know that? Can - April 16, 2014
- Privatize it and it - April 16, 2014