Io-wha??? In a turn of events strange enough to cause me to spit out my chocolate croissant in disbelief this morning, same-sex marriage is now legal in Iowa.
I shit you not.
Well, actually, it turns out that it was officially legal for only two hours -- from 9am-11am. A judge in Polk County struck down Iowa's 1998 Defense of Marriage Act -- otherwise known as "Io-we hate gays" -- this morning, saying it violated the constitutional rights of due process and equal protection of six gay couples involved in the case, but then put the ruling on hold two hours later.
Still, a few couples got their legal license applications in on time and tied the knot. And it's awfully hard to undo such things legally once they're accomplished in such a way. (Our Winter of Love couples' weddings were more easily declared invalid because they hadn't participated in a legal case beforehand).
Gayer than we thought
"This is it. We're married. I love you," said Sean Fritz to Tim McQuillan, according to the AP, after they got hitched -- one of the lucky couple to have applied in time (and skillfully worked their way around the typical three-day waiting period.)
Who knows what's gonna happen -- but I can't stop singing "Iowa Stubborn" from Corn State-based musical The Music Man in my head: "You really ought to give Iowa a try....."
Most Commented On
- Uber’s secret, “proprietary” insurance policy leaked - July 22, 2014
- SF Nightlife: Moon Boots, The Field, Tony Humphries, more - July 22, 2014
- Supes to vote on Avalos' "Let's Elect Our Elected Officials" - July 22, 2014
- Driven to take risks - July 22, 2014
- SFBG will know exactly how many people listen in. - July 22, 2014
- Bright future - July 22, 2014
- Attorneys debate toxic turf during Beach Chalet project - July 22, 2014
- Drop a house - July 22, 2014
- Gorgeousness unbound - July 22, 2014
- Police radio dispatch from Alejandro Nieto shooting raises new - July 22, 2014