The harvey Milk LGBT Democratic Club meets tonight to consider a parliamentary procedure that could lead to an an early endorsement for state Sen. Carole Migden, who faces a challenge in next June's primary from Assemblymember Mark Leno. Not surprisingly, the sleaze is flying
We haven't endorsed in this race, and we won't until next spring, but I have said, repeatedly, that both sides ought to play fair and keep it clean and try to avoid doing long-term damage to the progressive community. If Migden manages to disenfrancise Leno supporters at Milk, it will be one of those ugly moves that hurts the club's credibility.
Everyone tries to pack club endorsements. The Milk Club rules are designed to block that, and this may be an unintended consequence. But there are plenty of people who are clearly legit, long-term members of the Milk Club, and if there's any question about who gets to vote, it ought to be decided in a way that is as democratic as possible.
Migden's a former club president, and has a lot of strong Milk allies. She's been a Milk person for years, and Leno has been much more closely allied with the more moderate Alice B. Toklas Club. Migden doesn't need to play any games here; Leno's the underdog for this endorsement anyway.
By the way, perhaps the Milk Club members could ask Sen. Migden why she's so fond of Republican Don Fisher,, and whether she will take the $7,200 he's given her campaign and turn it over to the Yes on A/ No on H campaign.
And to keep the debate lively, they can ask Assemblymember Leno why he's so supportive of Mayor Gavin Newsom.
Most Commented On
- What's in the green bins - July 11, 2014
- +1 Greg. - July 11, 2014
- HI LOD - July 11, 2014
- Thank to Dr.Aluta for his - July 11, 2014
- HOW I GOT CURED OF HIV/AIDS BY DR ALUTA THE GREAT SPELL CASTER - July 11, 2014
- We need less Uber, Lyft and - July 11, 2014
- Yes, we need Walnut Creek - July 11, 2014
- You heard wrong - Cristina - July 11, 2014
- It will not take millions to - July 11, 2014
- Airbnb makes small admission on tax issue, saying its hosts - July 11, 2014