By Tim Redmond
Tommi Avicolli Mecca, a longtime queer/housing activist, just called me to say that he saw a truck driving around with Yes on 8 signs and Safai for Supervisor signs. Kinda scary -- not that Safai supports Prop. 8 (he doesn't, and his campaign isn't promoting yes on 8 by any means, and he has the backing of Gavin Newsom, who is pretty much the No on 8 poster boy these days.) And no candidate can ever controll all of his or her supporters. (Fog City Journal caught an Alioto supporter standing in front of City Hall shouting Yes on 8.
But if bigots who want to take away basic civil rights think Ahsha Safai is a good candidate for local office, you have to wonder. I hope he denounces them, quick.
(I called the Safai office and a volunteer answered the phone and said "as far as we know, none of our supporters carried Yes on 8 signs." But she said she a campaign spokesperson would get back to me with a formal statement. I haven't heard from them yet. I also left a message on Safai's cell phone. I'll let you know if he calls back.)
By the way: Is this a photo of Safai hanging out with Rodrigo Santos, the Republican head of the downtown-backed Coalition for Responsible Growth? CRG is putting money into a lot of supes races, but isn't supposed to be directly coordinating with any candidates.
Certainly looks that way, and people who know Santos better than I do confirm that's him in the pic.
Most Commented On
- There's about 3 people in all of SF who want to ban all cars. - December 18, 2013
- More MEANINGLESS talk and GRANDSTANDING ... await RESULTS - December 18, 2013
- Hortenica, if progressives stop with the stereotyping, I feel - December 18, 2013
- SFPD do not currently ticket the private shuttles and - December 18, 2013
- You're right - the shuttled issue is a fake issue. - December 18, 2013
- If a teacher has a partner who runs a hedge fund then why should - December 18, 2013
- Some People Are Addicted to Gambling, Sex, or Posting on SFBG! - December 18, 2013
- Well we certainly can't have - December 18, 2013
- Homeless are disgusting - December 18, 2013
- Not a joke? - December 18, 2013