by Amanda Witherell
The Board of Supervisors, at their Nov. 25 meeting, moved the Eastern Neighborhoods plan a little farther along in the legislative process. The political peregrinations that occurred at the previous meeting, during which the legislation was splintered into several pieces for political reasons, were resolved and the entire package is once again unified
As we http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=7571&catid=&volume_id=398&issue_i... “ target=”blank_”>reported in this week’s issue, Sup. Aaron Peskin had made some last minute amendments to add more accountability to parts of the plan. Sup. Sean Elsbernd didn’t like the move and severed them – effectively making them their own individual pieces of the legislation and vulnerable to line-item vetos from Mayor Gavin Newsom. Why would Newsom veto them? Why would speculating developers want to be required to start building within three years? Right.
Additionally, with Sup. Tom Ammiano outbound for Sacto and Sup. Chris Daly recused from voting because he owns property in the plan area, the board majority on this issue withers to six, with already http://www.fogcityjournal.com/wordpress/2008/11/24/the-crackberry-chroni... “ target=”blank_”>suspicious intentions coming out of Sup. Gerardo Sandoval.
Anyway, yesterday the Board agreed to mend fences and move forward by rolling all the amendments back into the original legislation, which no longer allows Newsom to target specific parts of it. Most of the amendments still weren’t favored by Elsbernd, Chu, and Alioto-Pier, and Sandoval was the sole vote against a “use it or lose it” provision to reduce speculation (See above link, and our story that details his own precious amendment designed to benefit one developer in particular.)
The legislation will get its last read and vote at the Dec. 9 meeting.
Most Commented On
- Sssh... a movement like this - April 16, 2014
- New students are not enrolling at CCSF because they see it is - April 16, 2014
- The case against CCSF is so compelling that no appeal is - April 16, 2014
- People like Greg always call anyone who disagrees with their - April 16, 2014
- Except that there is not a shred of evidence that the death of - April 16, 2014
- Is there anything SEIU does not have an opinion about? - April 16, 2014
- Cynthia Crews cannot claim to speak for the people - April 16, 2014
- Fat is the new Starving - April 16, 2014
- "By today, it was estimated - April 16, 2014
- We need more diversity - April 16, 2014