By Steven T. Jones
I’ve learned to have low expectations of editorials in the San Francisco Examiner, which endorsed John McCain for president and seems to always reflect the right-wing extremism of the paper’s Denver-based owner Phil Anschutz. But today’s editorial, which questions whether climate change is happening, is a new low.
In “Cap-and-trade scheme will wreck economy,” the paper refers to how some people believe burning fossil fuels is “allegedly” causing global warming and writes, “The problem for such advocates, however, is that Earth average temperatures have been declining for the last decade, and a fast-growing number of climate and other scientists now question the root idea of a global warming crisis.”
That statement is a lie. It is the opposite of truth, and not simply a matter of opinion or perspective, but a ridiculous and calculated effort to fool readers (I'm waiting for a response from Executive Editor Jim Pimentel and Managing Editor Deirdre Hussey and will add it to comments if I hear back from them).
Global temperatures in the last decade are some of the hottest on record, which is why the polar ice caps are melting. And the scientific community – real scientists, not those who work for industry or right-wing think tanks – is united (as much as scientists ever are about anything) in its belief in climate change and its connection to excessive carbon output.
It’s so clear that even George W. Bush and most Republicans believe it. Even the oil companies, the biggest single cause of global warming and the industry that will be hit hardest as we combat it, run ads acknowledging that it's happening. But the Examiner appears to be the last holdout. Wow.
Most Commented On
- Who said anything about - December 19, 2013
- There's a lot wrong with this post - December 19, 2013
- Actually they do - December 19, 2013
- Fairness is subjective unless the free market determines what is - December 19, 2013
- That's not the way I read it at all - December 19, 2013
- Buses need to use a central terminus - December 19, 2013
- Avalos was flattered by the result because he was the only - December 19, 2013
- Thanks for sharing that - December 19, 2013
- correction - December 19, 2013
- What is a fair wage? - December 19, 2013