By Nima Maghame
As supporters and opponents of same-sex marriage await closing arguments and a verdict in the federal lawsuit challenging Prop. 8’s legality, California State Senator Mark Leno has introduced a new bill that protects clergy who don’t want to perform marriage ceremonies that conflict with their beliefs.
“We so often heard from members of clergy that if Prop. 8 doesn't pass, they had concern that they would be forced to marry against their beliefs and scared they would lose their tax-exemption,” Leno told the Guardian. So he’s decided to promote a bill that would remove that argument from the anti-gay marriage arsenal.
Most Commented On
- tmbqwlArfpw - July 24, 2014
- Student protesters file claim against City College and SF - July 24, 2014
- Cash backwards - July 24, 2014
- Greg join Walmart investors - July 24, 2014
- Beach Chalet Ballot Initiative - July 24, 2014
- The US spends billions to fight Ebola and Marburg too - July 24, 2014
- BUgBvGEJFp - July 24, 2014
- And yet Israel spends millions to fight it. - July 24, 2014
- Your Imagination - July 24, 2014
- It's a complicated issue - July 24, 2014