By Rebecca Bowe
An event will be held this evening (2/18) at the Mission Dolores Basilica to urge Sens. Barbara Boxer and Diane Feinstein to push for nationwide immigration reform. The gathering of people from the immigrant community and faith-based organizations, which is being put together by the San Francisco Organizing Project, will be held in conjunction with the national Reform Immigration for America campaign.
Pat Bregant of SFOP told the Guardian that a turnout of around 1,000 is expected. Several families whose lives have been turned upside down by deportations will share their stories.
More than 35 clergy members from throughout the Bay Area will attend, including Bishop William Justice, Archdiocese of San Francisco. Others who are expected include Jim Molinari, state director for the office of Sen. Diane Feinstein, and San Francisco Supervisors David Chiu and David Campos.
Myrna Godinez, who came to the United States from war-torn El Salvador 26 years ago, said immigrants face steep challenges such as accessing health care and obtaining education. “They come here to work,” she said, “and to live in peace.” She said she faced many challenges trying to build a life here, but in her case, coming to the United States also meant being able “to go outside without being afraid of getting killed.”
The Mission Dolores Basilica is located at 3321 16th Street in San Francisco.
The event will be held from 7 to 8:30 p.m. and is free and open to the public.
Most Commented On
- qdefLJvePeVhO - March 14, 2014
- Suuuurree Davis Is Interested In Public Safety - March 14, 2014
- The problem, Greg, is that running a city is like running any - March 14, 2014
- This post - March 14, 2014
- The left is dominated by anger and hate - March 14, 2014
- That depends on what my job is. - March 14, 2014
- Some locations are better for the homeless than others - March 14, 2014
- What progressives are happy about here - March 14, 2014
- Being played like fiddles - March 14, 2014
- The influx of better off residents would increase the pressure - March 14, 2014