Michael Nava, who is running for Superior Court judge in San Francisco, tipped me to a fascinating document that's on the website of the California Judicial Council. It's a spreadsheet breaking down the ethnicity and gender of all the justices and trial court judges in the state. And it's pretty depressing.
In 2010, 73 percent of all trial court judges in the state are white, and 70 percent are male. A full 81 percent of the Court of Appeal judges are white, and 70 percent are male. That's astonishing.
Some counties are even worse: The Marin County judiciary is 100 percent white. Same for Napa County. San Francisco's a little better, at 66 percent white (but in a city with a majority non-white population, it's hardly representative).
Check out the pdf here.
Most Commented On
- Something is happening and you don't know what it is. - May 21, 2013
- Apple is owned by institutions which is all of us. - May 21, 2013
- Unless you never go anywhere, you are an oil consumer too. - May 21, 2013
- Except - May 21, 2013
- Dan, like I've said before - May 21, 2013
- Always? - May 21, 2013
- Well said, Tim - May 21, 2013
- No. - May 21, 2013
- Tim Cook deserves high praise for his performance - May 21, 2013
- Xorauguynawvlur - May 21, 2013