Michael Nava, who is running for Superior Court judge in San Francisco, tipped me to a fascinating document that's on the website of the California Judicial Council. It's a spreadsheet breaking down the ethnicity and gender of all the justices and trial court judges in the state. And it's pretty depressing.
In 2010, 73 percent of all trial court judges in the state are white, and 70 percent are male. A full 81 percent of the Court of Appeal judges are white, and 70 percent are male. That's astonishing.
Some counties are even worse: The Marin County judiciary is 100 percent white. Same for Napa County. San Francisco's a little better, at 66 percent white (but in a city with a majority non-white population, it's hardly representative).
Check out the pdf here.
Most Commented On
- Does anyone know who those women are? - March 11, 2014
- As a citizen of the city longer than - March 11, 2014
- I don't think so. This sounds - March 11, 2014
- progressives and the working class - March 11, 2014
- And whiney techies - March 11, 2014
- Self-absorption. He's still - March 11, 2014
- I have no clue. But if you - March 11, 2014
- Goes for the dumb ducks that - March 11, 2014
- He's fat - March 11, 2014
- Non-Workers of the world - March 11, 2014