The already crowded field of candidates battling to become the next D 10 supervisor just got even more crowded.
Bill Barnes, who is currently working as Sup. Michela Alioto-Pier's legislative aide, and has previously served as researcher for SF Firefighters Local 798, legislative aide for Sup. Fiona Ma, and legislative aide and campaign manager for Sup. Chris Daly, has entered the race.
Barnes, who turns 33 on April 3, says he is working between now and his birthday, on qualifying for public financing--a vital step for anyone who wants to compete against the handful of candidates that are backed by big private money in this race.
Barnes says he decided to throw his hat into the ring because there has not been enough talk about neighborhood issues, social inequity and displacement.
"The talk is always about creating jobs, but jobs for who?" Barnes said. "Will it be for folks who have lived in the community for their entire lives, or folks from out of town?"
In the next decade or two, it's likely that the majority of subcontracts in the city will be centered in District 10, but there are no guarantees of who will get that work.
Barnes identified UC Regent Ward Connerly's Prop. 209, which amended the state constitution to prohibit public institutions from considering race, sex, or ethnicity, as being a big part of the problem.
Noting that he worked to address the issue of local minority hiring while working for Ma, Barnes says race continues to play a major role when it comes to who gets the work in District 10.
"I plan to work to repeal Prop. 209, or figure out a better way to go,"Barnes said. "All too often contracts are issued that are way too big. That makes it impossible for a smaller locally-owned business to be competitive."
Most Commented On
- It's precisely because I care about San Franciscans that I do - July 25, 2014
- Liberals and Change - July 25, 2014
- So when blacks complain about racial prejudice do you tell them - July 25, 2014
- You hate San Franciscans and - July 25, 2014
- The problem, Emma, is that you are quick to put out - July 25, 2014
- So you are denying ever making stereotypes about whites? - July 25, 2014
- The soccer fields are about 0.001% of GGPark - July 25, 2014
- I would vote AGAINST putting - July 25, 2014
- People who live in San - July 25, 2014
- What could be healthier than - July 25, 2014