Why does the Catholic Church still exist?

Your collection-plate dollars at work

Johnny Angel Wendell, who wrote a piece for us this week about talk radio, does a show Sunday night on LA's KTLK radio called Southern California Live, and this week -- on Easter Sunday -- he had a great rant about the Catholic Church. You can listen to it here -- it starts about 22 minutes into the show. (Full disclosure -- I'm often a guest on the show, and was on last night, and you can listen to me talk about Meg Whitman and Gavin Newsom at the end of the session, but Johnny's bit on the church was better).

His question: Why does the Catholic Church still exist?

If any other major institution was caught doing what the Catholic hierarchy did -- allowing, or even encouraging, the abuse of children by its frontline workers -- nobody would go there any more. Imagine if Disneyland had this sort of scandal; no parent would ever take a kid there again. No school, or club, or program that involves or caters in any way to kids would survive a scandal like this.

I know, I know: It's about religion and faith that's supposed to transcend the foibles of the humans who run the show. But Jesus -- how can even devout Catholics allow this to continue? The pope and all the corrupt, sleazy bishops and cardinals ought to be thrown out like the devils cast from heaven in the Bible -- and until that happens, maybe all those devout Catholics should stop putting money in the collection plate.

Comments

the the democratic and republican party exist.

Voltaire once said (or something close, can't remember exact quote)

"Get rid of the gods and people will be praying at the graves of their favorite philosopher"

Get rid of the Catholic church and people will just believe in something else that fits the bill, like atheists who are obsessed with Ayn Rand.

I used to laugh when right wing religionists complained that if god was removed people would believe anything. It's true, not that believing in god is of much value. The first thing people who escape from North Korea do is join a fundamentalist church. The first thing many people in America do when they leave the church is become new age.

Whats the difference?

Posted by glen matlock on Apr. 05, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

I would imagine that the first thing that people do when they leave North Korea would be to get a decent meal,myself.

Posted by Johnny Wendell on Apr. 05, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

Why does the Roman Catholic Church still exist? For the same reason that all the others still exist? $$$$$$$$$$$, brainwashing and to try to control people and their lives.

And because most people were brainwashed from an early age with two major things which have a lasting bearing on their entire life:

1. Belief in a floating cloud being.
2. D and R party line indoctrination (at least here in the States).

For most people, try to deprogram this stuff...it ain't about to happen without professional help. Some people are able to deprogram the religious brainwashing, but often the same people are unable to deprogram the political party-line brainwashing, in part, because many people seem to need a "team" to cheerlead for or apologize for or make excuses and defenses for.

But, that's why any of these organized religions still exist.

Posted by Sam on Apr. 05, 2010 @ 7:06 pm

Funny to me how the same people that decry the "sheep-like" behavior of the uber-religious also seem to bask in the imagined divinity of people like Ron Paul, Ralph Nader, Ayn Rand et al......better an invisible being in the sky than a fault riddled extant human being, methinks.

Posted by Johnny Wendell on Apr. 06, 2010 @ 5:16 am

Well I can only speak for myself but....Who thinks that any of the people you mentioned are "divine?" I certainly don't. I don't put any human being up on a pedestal and worship them, and especially politicians. I think most politicians are the scum of the Earth regardless of the letter they have behind their name.

I voted for Nader/Gonzalez in the 2009 election, but I certainly didn' t see him or Matt as some "imagined divinity." I liked what Matt Gonzalez did while on the Board of Supervisors here in San Francisco and that's part of the reason I voted for them.

But speaking of "imagined divinity," one certainly must talk about many (if not most) of the Obama believers who saw this man (Bush3) as some "messiah" and "savior" and many STILL do. They are still making excuses for him! But if it were Bush doing the same things, they'd be screaming about it. HYPOCRITES! Yes, I talked with some of the Obamabots during the campaign. What a bunch of delusional nuts. They projected all of these dreamy delusional things on their "messiah" Obama and he's turned out to be the direct opposite of what they dreamed he would be. And when anyone tried to present Obama's Bush-accomplice voting record from the senate during the campaign what did we hear? Well, I got "hope" and "change we can believe in" screamed at me repeatedly from the mindless Obamabots. They didn't give a damn about the man's pro-Bush voting record whatsoever. All they were interested in were spewing simple, empty marketing slogans of "hope" and "change we can believe in" bullshit. And that's exactly what this fraud has turned out to be.

"Change we cannot believe in" is the reality, as some us Nader and McKinney voters had suspected would be the case, based on examining Obama's pro-Bush voting record from the senate. And he has continued all of the Bush/Cheney neocon agenda and even added to it. I could once again list it all (or a partial list) but it would make this comment too long.

And what will we hear in 2012 from the D voters? It will go something like this: "Well, I may not have always agreed with Obama and his decisions, but he will be better than the R candidate (or at least I choose to believe that because he has a D behind his name) so, once again I will stay in the D and R corporate-fascist rut and vote for Obama. Go, Obama, go."

Yes, that's what we will hear. Most people will repeat the entire exercise all over again (and the Guardian will probably endorse him again), rather than having the intelligence and foresight to vote for an independent progressive.

The Definition of Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Like mindlessly voting for Ds and Rs repeatedly and expecting legitimate POSITIVE change?

Posted by Sam on Apr. 06, 2010 @ 9:01 pm
har

Usually the people most hysterical about religious brain washing are true believers of another sort, maybe they don't like to compete? Some people just need something to believe 100% it seems, they give up on religion and become more narrow minded than all but the Jerry Falwells.

Much of the open borders crowd are Catholics who make common cause with the progressives here. What these "progressive's" here are saying is that the Catholics who they celebrate the diversity of, belong to a corrupt institution and that those people individually are brainwashed. When it comes election time the progressives will be insisting that the Catholics who want "justice" and other jingo's vote for them, even though those Catholics are brainwashed simpletons.

I just can't imagine why people think progressives are hypocritical condescending assholes?

Posted by glen matlock on Apr. 06, 2010 @ 7:59 am