Why does Assembly member Fiona Ma take on odd causes like ending rent control for trailer parks?
Maybe it's because almost 90 percent of the money she raises comes from outside her district. From the Chron today:
But San Francisco's Fiona Ma, who was elected in 2006 and quickly rose to power within the Democratic Caucus, took the top spot when it came to sheer cash collected out of district: $1.68 million. Ma, now speaker pro tempore, raised more campaign cash from outside her district than either of the leaders of both houses. Her outside contributions made up 88 percent of the money she raised, placing her 29th in funds raised outside the district. Ma attributed the prolific fundraising to her involvement in statewide issues, such as high-speed rail, agriculture and domestic violence, that take her on the road. She said that as a member of the Assembly's Democratic leadership - and someone from a safe Democratic district - she funnels a lot of money to other candidates. But she said the interests of her San Francisco constituents are well served because her high profile helps her promote those interests.
Most Commented On
- San Francisco Pension Liabilities - July 10, 2014
- What a Freaking GREAT idea - July 10, 2014
- Your envy does not befit you. - July 10, 2014
- True, which is why I'm not on facebook. - July 10, 2014
- Actually I think it will happen. - July 10, 2014
- Did you say lawyer? I know a - July 10, 2014
- True, rent control rewards lucky tenants and mean landlords - July 10, 2014
- Speaking of which, there has been at least one recorded murder - July 10, 2014
- Seems like you might be a speculator as well. - July 10, 2014
- Rent control incumbents will - July 10, 2014