DTS voters must re-register to cast DCCC ballots

Like nearly 30 percent of San Franciscans, I'm not registered with a political party, but when I got a letter from the Department of Elections a few weeks ago letting me know that I had the option of choosing either a Democratic or Republican ballot, I thought that I was all set to be able to vote for my favorite Democrats in the June 8 primarily election.

So last night, I sat down with my “(NP) Democratic Party” absentee ballot to vote, I made strong and clear “No” votes on state Propositions 16 and 17, I voted for Jerry Brown and other Democrats for statewide office, and I flipped the ballot over and over to find the Democratic County Central Committee race – but it wasn't there.

It turns out, only registered Democrats are allowed to vote for the DCCC, the body that controls San Francisco's Democratic Party operations and will be hugely influential in the fall elections for the Board of Supervisors. Even some DCCC candidates weren't aware of the restrictions and are now scrambling to let their supporters know to re-register as Democrats.

May 24 is the deadline to register – or to re-register – for the June 8 primarily election. And Elections officials say that if you've already received your absentee ballot, it's best if you bring it with you down to the Department of Elections in the basement of City Hall and turn it in as a spoiled ballot as you re-register.

And once you do, click here to vote for the Guardian's slate of progressive DCCC candidates.

Comments

How the fuck could you not know that?

Do you stick you elbow in the toilet and poo on the floor?

Posted by Guest on May. 19, 2010 @ 12:28 pm

It makes no sense. But now I have a clearer understanding of why exactly the DCCC has been taken over by the radical left in San Francisco - because people who have no stake in the party and who could care less about its future have monopolized the process of electing members of the DCCC and subverted it to their own ends.

As a registered DEMOCRAT I voted for DCCC positions. I'd suggest if anyone else wants to do the same they should register in the party.

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on May. 19, 2010 @ 1:05 pm

Yup, you commenters got me alright, I'm just stupid for thinking that having a Democratic Party ballot meant I could vote for all the Democratic Party offices. And I suppose you've also explained all the poo on my floor. I love our commenters, so helpful.

Posted by steven on May. 19, 2010 @ 3:05 pm

Don't pay any attention to these idiots, I had the same experience as you.

Posted by Jeff Hoffman on May. 23, 2010 @ 10:35 am

Lucretia - Yes, it does make sense now. And it totally sucks, since as someone who is proud to actually be independent minded and unaffiliated, in this town it automatically means I cede control entirely to the radical left. I really hoped I could vote for anti-SFBG slate of candidates - http://www.sarahstocking.com/dccc/sf_dccc_endorsements_onFB.pdf - alas, I would have to actually place a D on my hat.

Posted by Guest on May. 19, 2010 @ 4:49 pm

What's the point in being an independent (Decline to State) if one is going to turn around and vote for a D or R?

I'm an independent because I want nothing to do with the pro-Republican Democratic Party. Period.

D and R = corporate fascism, where the corporations run the nation as is the case today here in this nation.

And when one votes for a D or R, one is being an ACCOMPLICE to it all and agreeing with all the filth, war crimes, crimes against humanity, torture, rendition, illegal spying, bails-outs, housing mess, banking mess, local transportation disasters, shredding of the US Constitution, lobbyists, giving a huge $$$$$ give-away to the mangled health "care" industry (instead of using the money for universal health care), and more corruption....and more oil "spills.".... (the list seems endless).

And both of these useless, corrupt parties pay people to troll around on message forums and support their corrupt D or R "team," regardless of their despicable, deplorable and barbaric record. These party-line paid troll provide unconditional support to these D and R corporate parties. They put party-line above the US Constitution.

Question: When will people "get smart" and remove themselves permanently from the corrupt D and R rut which is destroying this nation?

Answer: Probably never.

Posted by Sam on May. 19, 2010 @ 5:08 pm

The point is that the DCCC has a major influence on local elections. I am not a Democrat either, for the same reasons as you. But one should also take political reality into account, and because the DCCC has so much influence, it's important to keep the progressives in the majority.

Posted by Jeff Hoffman on May. 23, 2010 @ 10:34 am

That's a no-brainer, Steve, it's a partisan race. DTS has no County Central Committee; at least they didn't the last time i checked the state charter for legitimate parties (which was never),,,...

Posted by Guest Richard Stone on May. 19, 2010 @ 9:45 pm

...that's right, I dont need to check; I just know!!!

Posted by Guest Richard Stone on May. 19, 2010 @ 10:52 pm

This should be common knowledge. If you want to vote for Democratic Party Central Committee Members, you need to be a registered Democrat. It would also be wise NOT to vote absentee if you want your vote to count. The Dept of Elections mailed out Absentee Ballots that have the wrong bar code on the envelopes, so your name may not match your registration, and therefore your vote will be discarded. If you want your vote to count, vote at your registered polling place in person and turn in your absentee ballot to get your ballot cards at your precinct and vote there. I wonder why the DCCC has not made a stink about this huge mistake. The Dept of Elections today, said it was only 1,000 ballots that had the problem. How do they know? They outsourced the whole printing and mailing operation. Since there is no way to know if your ballot will be counted, please vote in person at your polling place - and if you find this information useful, please vote for me for DCCC in Assembly District 13 - thanks. (Don't you wish your elected DCCC Members would clue you in on how to get your vote counted in San Francisco?)

Posted by Paul Currier, Candidate for DCCC AD13 on May. 19, 2010 @ 11:55 pm