The Internet is abuzz with the news that a second-grader asked Michelle Obama about immigration during a visit to a Washington-area school--and in the process revealed that her mother is here without paperwork.
"My mom said, I think that she says that, Barack Obama is going to take away everybody that doesn't have papers," Margarita Zavala said.
"Yeah well that's something that we have to work on, right?” the first lady replied. “To make sure that people can be here with the right kind of papers, right? That's exactly right."
"But, my mom doesn't have any,” Zavala replied.
So, what will happen now that everybody in the world knows that Margarita’s mom is here without legal paperwork?
A) The feds descend on the Zavala household and slap an electronic monitoring bracelet on Margarita’s mother’s ankle, until they determine if she is deportable?
B) The Arizona-inspired alien-bashers cite Margarita’s mother as one more example of what is wrong with Obama’s administration, if the feds don’t haul her off pronto?
C) Margarita puts a human face on the people (and their kids) who are being terrorized by Arizona-style policies and helps the Obama administration move ahead with overdue immigration reform?
I don't know what will happen. But I do know that it's easy to rant about “illegal aliens” when they're not your mother, the woman who tucks you into bed each night and helps you get to school on time, so you can open your mouth and speak truth to power.
Most Commented On
- They also broke a buses' windows - December 20, 2013
- Protests bring tech down to earth - December 20, 2013
- Random Acts of Unkindness - December 20, 2013
- Stupid protest - December 20, 2013
- Wrong - December 20, 2013
- evictions are increasing - December 20, 2013
- Bullshit - December 20, 2013
- This lack of focus was what caused the Occupy mob to fail - December 20, 2013
- Scapegoats - December 20, 2013
- Google Bus blocked in TWO Oakland locations - December 20, 2013