Why Comcast sucks

Ever wonder why Comcast routinely ranks among the worst companies in America for customer service? Let me tell you a story.

So my cable box stopped working, which meant I couldn't get the Giants games and my daughter couldn't watch Hannah Montana, which was something of a crisis in the Redmond household. So I called Comcast, and the nice woman on the phone tried a remote diagnosis, and told me the box was fried. "But don't worry," she said. "Just drop it by our office and we'll give you a new one right away."

Just drop it by our office. Here's that that means: You arrive at the cramped, airless spot on Potrero and 16th and wait. And wait. And wait. When I got there, the line was 21 people long, and four customer service clerks were trying their best to sort out a wide range of problems -- bill problems, service problems, people wanting more channels problems ... by the time I got to the front, 41 minutes had passed, and the line stood at 28 people. There wasn't any more room in the office; the 29th person was going to have to stand out on the street.

"It's always like this," an older woman in the line complained. And she's right -- at least, every time I've ever been there, the lines been long, the wait's been long and every single person in the room was unhappy.

Here's what's going on: In the old days, when your cable service didn't work, they sent a repair person to your house, and that person either fixed the problem or installed new equipment. Now it's up to me to unscrew the box (easy enough for me, though maybe not for everyone), take my time to go wait in line for a new one, and reinstall it (again, easy for me, maybe not for everyone.) So I'm already saving Comcast the money it used to spend sending a trained technician to my house.  Now I'm paying, with my own time, to wait while an inadequate number of service people try to handle far too many problems.

Brian Roberts is the CEO of Comcast. I've sent him a note that says the following:

1. You need to hire more people for customer service. If you don't want to pay to send techs out to my house, then properly staff your offices. Most people have jobs, and can't afford to spend an hour or more (with travel time) to exchange a piece of your equipment every time it breaks.

2. Set up some orderly lines. One line for simple exchanges of gear, one for billing problems, one for people who want to spend 30 minutes deciding on a service upgrade. Even the DMV gets that; it shouldn't be so hard.

3. But more reliable gear.

4. Or: Cut your prices. I'm paying way, way too much money to put up with this shit.

Comments

you don't have to bring the box in, you can alway request to have a tech to come to your house, but keep one thing in mind, all service call subject to charge. One more thing, if more than one tv goes bad, then 99% is not the box, it is cable in the house. in fact most service call are NOT bad box, it is bad cable or loose cable in customer's house.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 02, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

comcast = biggest piece of shit company!

Posted by Guest on Oct. 30, 2010 @ 5:53 pm

That's not quit right buddy. My Comcast box has had issues three separate times. I've had the cable man out for a signal issue, and the cable connection is fine. I've driven to the outskirts of Denver to get to any of their locations for exchanging. Also, its definitely a charge for techs to come and do almost anything for you. Comcast is the worst.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 20, 2011 @ 11:21 am

Yeah, Comcast reps loves to push techies to come out to your house. WHY? It's a cable! My electricity never goes out. Water supply never goes out. Gas? Same thing, it's always there. Why? Because those are just simple friggin' connections. Even he cable TV almost never goes out. It's just Comcast's internet service. The problem is NOT in my home. You've already replaced my modem, which they were very reluctant to do All the techs did when they came over was stink up the house - literally - do their employees even bathe? It doesn't seem like it.

No, Comcast - the problem is on your end. I can power-cycle my modem all by myself. I don't need someone you're paying $1.25 a day in Africa to tell me to try that. Fix your shiat.

I cancelled all of my Comcast service today. Someone let me know when they fix their shiat because using my phone as my ISP kind of sucks - it just just doesnt' suck as much as Comcast.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 13, 2011 @ 5:07 pm

i switched to Comcast 6 months ago and have been sorry every since.
Their marketing department sold me a triple play for 'X' dollars a month. No promo etc, I wanted the price for now till forever. Well I have received 1 bill that was correct. 1 bill only. Every billing cycle I have to call Rick somebody's office to get is straight. Well now they say sorry that is the 'new' price, you were on a promo for 6 months, I told them I knwo what I was sold and it was not a promo. But apparently their marketing department can sell you real estate somewhere and comcast doens't have to honor what their marketing department sold you.
So now my bill has jump $100 bucks more per month.
Back to Directv I go, BY comcast/xfinity or whatever the hell they are calling themselves today.
Not to mention Directv's technology and software is at least 21st century, comcast's DVR service is from early 90's and a pain in the ass to use.

Posted by LMiller on Jun. 02, 2010 @ 4:19 pm

You signed up for an introductory priced service, and you can “want” a price from now till forever, but like every service – cable prices go up. What was youfr satellite bill after installation, equipment purchase, and the introductory price was over?
Hope your installation was rock solid or else your going to pay through the nose for service calls. Comcast wont charge you the cost of getting a technician to your home – at most a $30 service fee (tech $20 or so per hour + or - $6 depending on service area, tech level etc., bens + vehicle + gas + insurance and so on. Easily $46 per hour excluding parts. Or you could sign up for the service protection- 2 bucks or so a month and you can even add it during the service call (hint hint) in case you couldn’t figure out your do it yourself connections, 10 year old 600mhz splitters or that you might want to snugly tighten all of your connections , not to mention the change the TV to the correct channel (3 or 4 usually) or correct input AV 1, 2, … or HDMI 1,2… or which ever other possible connection the installer may have used depending on your setup.
Unfortunately Comcast isn’t a local mom and pop operation, and in interest of keeping cost down they might hire less than qualified phone reps (high turn over due to low pay and training), contractor installers (paid by install signed for by customer) , and over worked company (Comcast) service technicians tech range 1 o 4 (higher the better i.e. you want a 3 or 4, but cant request a tech of any level unless you’re a commercial customer. (but you can ask the guy that shows up his tech level, years of experience, and what was done to correct your issue) – to be completely honest, a kind word – bottle of water—or a tip (only for above and beyond service) can get you discounts and additional service perks. (not always – but it’s a good idea not to be a jerk to the guy grounding cable, and drilling into your home. A little buyer beware is involved - the more info you get, the better- tech # level, contractor or in house (everyone starts someplace so installs are for lower techs- and contractors) Find out who’s in your home, and from most to least concern is contractor, tech 1-4 (or installer to advanced service tech depending on area of country). Don’t be a pushy or jerky customer – unfortunately service received depends on attitude given. Don’t be a pushover or a prick---It’s a balance you must find.

In an ideal world you would get the same top notch service, for the grandma that cant turn on her tv, as the person that didn’t think the wire laying in the drive way had anything to do with no picture, to the know it all that hooks up 4 way splitter backwards for his media center PC that is never used but back feeds 28dbmv due to the cross threaded connection.

In the real world a tech is going to screw a know nothing whiny, limp wristed cunt – be a well informed customer, sign up only for what you where promised, don’t be an ass to the person drilling into your home, keep an eye on what’s going on, but don’t be under foot.

This is truly a worst case scenario. If you sign up for Comcast, you will be taken care of 90% of the time – the other 10% will get taken care of 110%.

Posted by 6037 on Aug. 27, 2010 @ 10:39 pm

you are a massive tool

Posted by Guest on Dec. 31, 2010 @ 12:15 pm

Fuck Comcast!

Posted by Guest on Oct. 30, 2010 @ 5:54 pm

You forgot to mention:

-- Their crappy PHONE customer service (excessive hold times, reps who obviously weren't fully trained)
-- Their inexcusable lack of effort (and maybe even policy) to relay to customers AND THEIR OWN EMPLOYEES, that discounts are available to disabled customers (and possibly low income residents-but not sure), similar to "lifeline" by the phone company. Not only do they not inform (or easily inform) customers these discounts exist, but the majority of their own customer service reps don't know about it from their phone reps, kiosk reps, "office" reps (Comcast stores, for lack of a better word), and even reps who go knocking on people doors. And when you finally find someone who just might know something about it, there doesn't seem to be any literature that can be provided or mailed - which also means, this can't be done by mail or over the phone. It's so......just wrong, in numerous ways!

Posted by Guest on Jun. 02, 2010 @ 6:58 pm

I was forced to switch to Comcast for my internet access and cable television as my new building does not have copper for DSL and Astound does not service this location. I have been annoyed as even though I have only been here 4 weeks I am on my 5th DVR and have had 4 technicians come to my apartment. I've been on the phone with Comcast every week. This is ridiculous!

Posted by Andrew on Jun. 02, 2010 @ 7:32 pm

I've actually found the phone technicians very helpful -- but again, the wait time can be way too long. The thing that gets me here is that most of the problems I've had with Comcast are easily solved -- hire enough staff to do the job. Don't make the customer wait and wait and wait so you save a few bucks on the bottom line by keeping payroll down. In most places, Comcast is a virtual monopoly; I have no other choice for cable TV. It's not as if the company is in a tight competitive situation and needs to keep costs down.

Posted by tim on Jun. 02, 2010 @ 7:56 pm

Really?

Their phone techs are completely useless. They usually answer fairly quickly. I've never had to wait more than 3-4 minutes but they have yet to resolve a single issue.

Usually the wait time is built-in delays. Comcast makes you enter your phone number, but it doesn't matter. That doesn't get transmitted to the service reps. It's just a time-waster to make you think something is being accomplished. I don't even do it anymore.

The problem is that most of the problems are NOT easily solved. You have to first convince them there is a problem. You have to play a lot of games with them. Yeah, I already turned my modem off for a few minutes before I even called. You want me to do that again? Just for good measure I did the same to my router.

The fact is there's some piece of equipment in a Comcast office somewhere that needs to be reset or reconfigured and the minimum wage sods they hire to talk to you on the phone are incapable of doing that.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 15, 2011 @ 7:09 pm

THEY ARE OVER PRICED AND CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS. I HAD SCHEDULE A TECH TO COME TO THE HOUSE AND CONFIRMED WITH CUSTOMER SERVICE. I TOOK THEY DAY OFF AND WAITED AND WAITED AND WAITED... CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEY KEPT SAYING THEY ARE ON THE WAY. NEVER SHOWED UP CALLED THEM AGAIN AND COMPLAINED, THEY GAVE ME $20 CREDIT, BUT I HAD TO USE MY VACATION DAY AND WASTE MY TIME WAITING. YEAH THEY SUCK.
WENT TO THEIR OFFICE AND WAITED AND WAITED.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 02, 2010 @ 8:11 pm

Everything about them sucks, but let's start here when my phone was working and I specifically gave them my cell phone so they could call me when they arrived for service call, when they never showed up, I called them and they said they got no answer on the HOME line so they by-passed the service call, Guess what you morons you were coming to fix the phone!. Also their oversees customer service has no idea how the products work so they can never help you. Not to mention the highway robbery prices...

Posted by Guest on Jun. 02, 2010 @ 10:32 pm

I agree! I'll start calling them Com Crap from now on!

Posted by Guest on Jun. 07, 2010 @ 4:27 pm

It's easy to rant and rave about high cable prices, but for those who know, prices have been driven up by many factors. ESPN is an example, as they charge cable companies about $4.00 per customer. Basic cable is pretty reasonably priced, but when you go to the expanded service, you will pay more because of the equipment needed and the cost of providing those channels. There's not really a huge difference in prices from cable to dish or other providers, once the promo expires. And it's very similar all over the country. Like many others, as long as my Comcast internet is working, I'm happy. High prices? Hell, try going to a ball game or a concert. That is as expensive as a full month of cable for many.

Posted by on the other hand.. on Jun. 03, 2010 @ 7:55 am

You are kidding right!!???? Here in the bay area I am paying $26 for basic "analog" cable to watch 4 channels.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 10, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

You need to get an aerial antenna. In the Bay area you can pick up more than that in over the air channels and most of the over the air are broadcast in HD. Go get your self some rabbit ears

Posted by Guest on May. 04, 2011 @ 5:35 am

If $4 of my cable bill goes to ESPN then it should be left to another tier. I just don't watch sports. I know ESPN is popular with a lot of people, but I don't care for it and it certainly isn't worth $4 for me, let alone $4 per month.

Why can't I get NatGeo or BBC America on basic cable? But I'm stuck with half a dozen sports channels?

Oh yeah, I canceled Comcast today. Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Posted by Guest on Apr. 13, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

Tim - I apologize for the experience. I work for Comcast and I'd like to have my local colleagues to look into this for you. Thanks for sending this to our CEO. You can also contact our team and provide your info at the email provided below. We'll make sure this is addressed so that our customers will have a better experience. Thanks for providing the opportunity to make this right!

For those of you who are currently experiencing a problem with Comcast, please feel free to contact our team. We are here to help.

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Posted by Guest on Jun. 03, 2010 @ 11:53 am

This guy Mark who replied and left his email address is full of S__T email doesn't even work way to go comcast. I am soon switching to Direct TV

8 years with comcast was great until the last 3 manths of lies and lies and never get the problems fixed.

COMCAST SUCKS

Posted by Guest Metateman on Oct. 02, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

Not too long after I posted my blog about the complete incompetence and unprofessional service that's been my experience with Comcast, that same guy posted a comment on my blog. Amazing how slow it is to actually get help when you're their customer, but how quickly they're on it when they want your contribution to their revenue stream.

Posted by 210 Days of Waves on Oct. 15, 2010 @ 10:55 am

You're missing the point, Mark. People DO contact Comcast. And they DON'T get helped. Instead, they get mis-information, apathy, incompetence, and lies.

Want an example of the latter? When Comcast made its much-vaunted "upgrade" to HD, and insisted customers upgrade their equipment or rent a box, I contacted my local office for a box. No probs, says the rep, one will be on its way to you this week. Three weeks later, no box. And, by that time, few channels, either. I contact Comcast again, inquiring - politely - about the expected delivery date of my box. Customer "care" rep informas me that, as I am a Limited Basic customer, no box was sent, and no box would be sent, and no order for any such thing was placed or would have been taken by a Comcast rep. In other words: I'm lying.

Furthermore, the rep informs me, the fact that I am no longer receiving the majority of the Limited Basic channels that I had been receiving for FIVE YEARS, is because Comcast mistakenly "allowed" me to enjoy those channels. They were never, he tells me emphatically, included in the Limited Basic lineup.

Again, he assures me, I would NEVER have been told those channels were included in Limited Basic - because they NEVER were. Presumably another figment of my imagination.

Well, Mark, old buddy, let me assure you - I have evidence to the contrary. Some of it suplied by Comcast itself. And, yes, indeedy, Comcast Limited Basic DID include channels like Comedy Channel, MSNBC, Fox News, Animal Planet, TLC, and more. At least it did when I signed up, and for several years after.

What's more, to add insult to injury, if I cancelled the Basic, my Internet charges go up to - lookee here! - more than it would cost me to pay for Internet and television channels that I could receive for free with a wire clothes hanger.

Oh, and by the way... I'll be paying an extra dollar for those channels. Because of the "improved service" and "enhanced viewing" and all.

So Comcast can pimp out smiling faces in its commercials. It can whiffle on about its "commitment" to "customer service". It can loudly tootle its own horn about how it's delivering more and better to its lucky, lucky suscribers. It can offer as many "apologies" for its many, many screwups, and you know what?.

None of it makes one whit of difference because NONE of it is accompanied by either sincerity or change.

The fact is, Comcast routinely delivers some of the worst customer "service" on the planet. And if Comcast didn't have a monopoly in my area, I would have been long gone.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 18, 2010 @ 11:16 am

As a former contracted installer for Comcast, let me start out by saying a few things.

1. Just because they told you that a comcast agent would never take an order for an HD receiver when you have a limited basic package, doesn't mean he/she was saying you were lying. They were simply saying that comcast reps don't take those orders and Comcast doesn't provide that equipment for your package. Did they ever once say you were lying? They could have just as well been insinuating that the person you spoke with the first time was a worthless d--bag, but being that they work for the same company, they can't outright say that.
2. With the old Basic/Expanded basic structure for analog channels, a service no longer offered (at least in the Denver market), it was quite easy to receive more channels than you were supposed to. As an installer, on more than one occasion I arrived at a house to perform a basic installation to find that the cable service was never disconnected from the previous tenants, and the tap (the main hookup) was located in a yard with multiple large, rather menacing dogs in it, and no owner home. So, I let them have the extra channels, knowing full well I wasn't going to try to track down that neighbors house just to put a simple filter on to block 23 channels. As a contractor paid on a per-job basis, it wasn't worth my time.
3. As for your internet price going up if you cancel basic cable, well, you were paying for a bundled price. Of course your data rate would go up when you remove part of the bundle deal. It's only logical. Same reason why your data rate would go down if you added the telephone service.

Oh, and as for your channel lineup issue, I couldn't speak for your area, or for several years ago, but most of the channels listed were available in the expanded basic package here, but not the basic.
I'm not making excuses for Comcast, because I have plenty of gripes myself. They had warehouse workers who were working for $9/hr who would just NOT check equipment before sending it back out for installations, because they weren't paid well enough to care. They recycled equipment, and sometimes I had to install equipment that I was ashamed to carry in my truck, because it was the only equipment we had. Comcast did a very poor job of supplying equipment to contractors, even though we did more installations in a day than 3 in-house technicians could.
Just an FYI on that...As a subcontractor installer, I would get a minimum of 8 jobs per day...2 per time slot. The most I ever received was 18. 18 jobs to do in 5 time slots (8-10, 10-12, 1-3, 3-5, 5-7). As you can imagine, that's quite difficult. No in-house tech could do that.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 06, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

Thanks Mark, glad you're reading this. I'm not griping per se about the prices as much as I am by the fact that it's so inconvenient and takes to long to get service at your office. You need to hire more staff; you need to do what good supermarkets do -- when the lines get too long, bring in more checkers. The time your customers spend in line is valuable; there's no excuse for this.

Also: Why can't you have a line for simple exchanges, one for billing problems, and one for equipment and service orders? That makes a lot more sense than the mess you have now.

Posted by Tim Redmond on Jun. 03, 2010 @ 7:56 pm

Tim, you give them way too much credit. In particular, the technicians that come out to your house are typically 1099 contract employees with no stake whatsoever in the quality or timliness of their work. Comcast is never going to hire more quality people and as we speak are most likely trying to find a way to convert the employees in their retail locations to 1099 contract workers as well.

Posted by Chris O on Jun. 04, 2010 @ 9:31 am

...I tend to appreciate the way the Brits deal with incompetent telecom providers. :)

Posted by Thomas on Jun. 04, 2010 @ 10:03 am

Wow, I don't even know what to say about Comcast. Just got 2 receivers installed about 1 hour ago. The tech installed them both very quickly but maybe too quickly? He installed my living room receiver and it should have been an HD receiver but I guess that is my fault since the sales woman didn't ask whether I wanted it or not. He says I need to go down to their offices tomorrow and get an HD receiver...I perceive a long wait but we'll see. (I've been there before, long line, hot, unhappy people). But the channels I ordered aren't programmed in. The tech left and I had to call customer service. "Irene" was probably the worst customer service person I've ever encountered. Just plain rude in every way imaginable. She was really mad because she said the serial number doesn't match. I very nicely told her that Comcast needs to work on its customer service skills. It was so bad it was funny.

My service is off to a really frightening start. But what I really want to complain about is that the remote for one of the receivers was disgusting (sticky with crud between the buttons!) I guess they don't even clean them between users. ---Grossed out in Santa Fe

Posted by Amy V on Jun. 07, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

Hi everybody,

I too experienced the same crappy service from Comcast. I have the foolproof solution: get rid of it. You don't need broadcast television. You can watch plenty of good programming on DVD, and enjoy the freedom of not giving them your money.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 10, 2010 @ 9:26 pm

That's why Comcast won The Consumerist's Worst Company In America Award for 2009.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 09, 2010 @ 7:33 am

As a very recent former employee after witnessing underhanded and deceptive practices, I decided I would rather be unemployed than continue working for them.

In the past year they closed multiple call centers with the reason that they were small, inefficient and non productive, which resulted in the unemployment of thousands of employees. The calls that used to be handled by those call centers have been routed to other areas, but Comcast did not hire additional people to handle the increased call volume; instead employees were told to increase their productivity or they could lose their jobs too. Comcast also outsourced all incoming Spanish calls to Mexico and the calls for internet and telephone support for field technicians (as well as many of the customer calls) has been contracted to an outside company in the Philippines. Comcast does not have to pay for employee benefits for “‘outsourced” jobs. Shortly after the layoffs, the media broke the news that Comcast was planning to merge with NBC Universal.
Want to know why customer service is so horrible? For one thing, many- but not all- reps are so burned out they don’t care about anything but meeting their daily quota and second, many employees don’t last more than a year so chances are you are talking to someone who doesn’t know what they are talking about. Management places the emphases on productivity & sales rather than customer service. I was told by several different managers that the company would rather make the customer schedule an appointment for a service call, take time off from work and spend time waiting at home waiting for hours for a tech to show up instead of allowing a rep to spend extra time on the phone to try & get their issue resolved. There are many issues which do require a technician to fix the problem, but there are also many service calls that could have been resolved over the phone. Ever feel like the person you are talking to doesn’t care about your problem or is trying to get you off the phone? Phone reps are allowed to spend an average time of 5 minutes per call. If the call lasts longer than 10 minutes, they receive a message every minute reminding them that they are over their 5 minutes, so reps will say anything in order to get the customer off the phone. After a certain amount of time, if the reps’ average time spent with each customer goes over 5 minutes, they are written up. If they do not make the daily sales goal, they are written up, so reps will say anything to customers in order to get "a sale". After a specific amount of time if reps still have not meet their goals, they get fired. In the sales department I saw a sign posted stating one of their daily goals is "customer mind control"! If a local market is not meeting corporate sales goals, managers will walk up and down aisles to find out who is not meeting their sales quota for the day. The company’s goal is that every customer will be in a Triple Play digital bundle. During new hire training, an entire day is devoted just on overcoming objections from customers who don't want additional services or higher priced packages. There is very limited incentive to provide good customer service, however there are plenty of incentives to sell services (such as not losing their job). Policies, procedures, billing practices & prices can change daily and reps are informed (if at all) of those changes via email or in their team meeting, so if they don't bother to read their email or they don’t attend a team meeting, they give customers the wrong information. (ever wonder why every time you call you get a different answer or you feel like the rep doesn’t know what they are talking about?) A standard joke amongst the employees is that for a communication company, Comcast sucks at communicating information within their own organization. Ongoing training for reps for new products and services is not held in training rooms, but on their computer. Each course lasts an average of 5-20 min and is similar to a slideshow presentation. (And customers question why employee’s knowledge about their own products is so poor)

Have you ever asked for a supervisor and felt like you got the run around? That's because supervisors are hardly ever at their desks, or they are busy writing up employees. Supervisors HATE taking calls from customers. Phone reps are told to advise customers of a 24-48 hour call back time frame if they insist on speaking to a supervisor and there is no guarantee there will be a callback. Many times when customers think they are talking to a supervisor, they are actually talking to "floor support" (level below supervisor). The stress the company puts on each employee is unbelievable. Not only do the employees have to deal with the threat of being fired for not meeting their goals, but also deal with disgruntled, angry and screaming customers throughout the day. If you think it sucks being a customer, it is 100 times worse working for them.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 11, 2010 @ 6:11 am

I almost never get a customer service rep from Comcast who speaks English as a native language. I've talked to CSR's in Mexico, The Phillipines, India and Pakistan and god knows where else.

They really don't give a flying fark. All they want me to do is power-cycle my modem and schedule a tech (who probably hasn't bathed in a week) to come out to my house and change out the splitter.

No, I don't want another tech to stink up my place. The problem is obviously on your end.

Hooray for quitting Comcast. My cell phone works just fine for internet service.

Posted by Guest on Apr. 13, 2011 @ 6:59 pm

I moved to a different apartment in Oakland last fall. Comcast was more than happy to move my service to the new location, though they were pretty distressed that I wanted to drop my phone line as I never used it. The tech came out to the new place, hooked me up with cable and internet.

My internet service worked for about a week. Then it stopped working. Sat at home a second day waiting for a tech to come out. He "fixed" it - which worked for another few days. Scheduled a third tech appointment. This guy told me: look. This building has old wiring. It was never re-wired for broadband services. With 27 units in the building, it is impossible to provide sufficient bandwidth for everybody's cable and internet. Took me down to the main box, showed me how he was going to re-wire my connection to be closer to the first branch - basically robbing some other customer to give me service. "But as soon as their service degrades, they'll put in a call, and the next tech will bump you to make way for them, and then your service will go out and you'll have to make a call."

He said "basically they should never have approved you to be provisioned for service. Good thing you didn't get the phone - it would never work." Told me he'd request that his supervisor send a form letter to all Comcast customers at our building so if we chose, we could send them along to the management company requesting that the building owner consider doing a re-wire. Form letters never came.

Sure enough my service went out. Spent 2 hours on my cell with customer service trying to talk to someone about how to resolve the situation. "Oh we don't send out form letters. But we have a department whose sole job it is to negotiate with building owners who need re-wires. They'll get on it and hopefully will get something done." I canceled my internet and spent the next month surfing off a neighbor's open wireless network... until it vanished.

Called customer service back. They denied any knowledge of a department that negotiates re-wires. "It's the tenant's job to negotiate with the landlord."

In exasperation I looked into all sorts of alternatives - Dish Network (my unit faces the wrong way and I would have needed to get the building owner's permission to attach a dish to the building face, plus pay extra install fees), local DSL companies (their rate came on top of the need for a phone line with dial tone, pushing the price way up by comparison)... finally I went with AT&T U-verse. I am paying as much as I paid Comcast for Triple Play, and $30 more than my Comcast internet/cable package, but I don't have a phone. The internet speeds aren't as fast. The "200 channels" are mostly shopping and sports networks which I'll never use. But the service was installed and has worked as described ever since.

Pretty sad when that feels like a consumer win.

The worst part: Comcast tried to bill me some strange, unidentified charge of about $50 after I cancelled. They turned it over to a collection agency less than two weeks after the due date, when I'd already written them demanding an itemized bill showing what they thought I owed for (I have gotten all kinds of answers from customer service, like "retroactive service fees," "un-returned equipment," you name it.) I proceeded to send registered letters to both the collection agency and Comcast twice a month for the next 3 months every time I got a collection threat, pointing out that collecting a debt they refused to substantiate is a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The only thing that got them to back off were letters of complaint to the California and Texas (location of the collection agancy) Attorneys General. The AGs each apparently had a word with the respective businesses and the collections attempts ceased.

Worst. Company. Ever.

Posted by Guest on Jun. 12, 2010 @ 11:47 am

When he said "Television is a vast wasteland" almost 50 years ago.

Well, it still is and I strongly suggest the entire Richmond household free themselves from corporate programming. Your daughter will be far better off if she finds some better way to pass her time than the appalling 35+ hours per week average that people in this country are said to spend watching TV.

I raised two kids to be happy concerned citizens of the world without paying one dime to any of the cable or satellite networks. Video is OK in moderation, just monitor which programs they watch on dvd or on line. For God's sake don't plug yourselves in to have 80+ channels of mind-rot piped into your living room 24 hours per day teaching all the Richmonds to be better consumers.

We have some on the best weather in the world here and live in one of the most culturally dynamic and interesting places in the USA so don't wast your lives sitting in front of the Tube! Better yet, blow up your TV and read or teach your kids how to build something.

Comcast has done you a BIG favor if they turn you off. Now do it to them!

Easy John

Posted by Easy John on Jun. 12, 2010 @ 12:39 pm

It has been a year since Comcast illegally sent my account to the creditors. After years of hell, NOT ONCE recieving a correct bill from them, not once able to reach customer service assitance without physically going down to their offices and wasting an afternoon waiting in lines I decided enough is enough. When I called to cancel my service they said they would send me the last bill, which I expected would be $40. When the bill came they added on TWO sets of late fees and some bizzar "disconnect fees" which brought my bill to $110. When I called to complain they said there was nothing they could do, and within only 5 DAYS THEY SUBMITTED IT TO THE CREDITORS!! I did not even have chance to go down and wait in line at the office to clear up the wrong charges before it went to the creditors. I was told I now had to deal with the credit collectors and there was "nothing we can do...".

To submit anything to creditors the bill must be outstanding for at least one month and has to be over $100. This company is CRIMINAL. They wrongly charged me bizzar late fee when I have absolute proof I was never late, and then they broke the law by submitting my name and account to the creditors without waiting 30 days.

I hope the day comes when a huge class action lawsuit can happen against Comcast.

Posted by Comcast victim on Jun. 29, 2010 @ 11:52 am

We switched over to Comcast about 6 months ago and I fully regret it. Our cable tv has been ok but our "Cable Internet" is terrible. When we switched from Verizon to comcast we were forced onto a 5 contract with Comcast. And the price didn't drop or anything for the contract. The Internet is completly unreliable and shuts off at once a day. It is very inconvienant and a pain. We also got Magic Jack internet phone, the only problem is the Internet is always down. We have to constantly move the router to different locations of the house to equal out the broadband through the 3 story house. When the router is on the 1st story the connection is strong but the signal is weak through out the house. When it's on the 2nd story the connection to the cable is weak but the wireless is strong.

Posted by Guest on Jul. 03, 2010 @ 6:52 am

You're just paying for infomercials anyways.

Some of the above comments are from not knowing anything about technology and may have nothing to do with Comcast. We used to be a nation where a fair amount of people could figure things out and fix them.

for guest
Buy a switch and another router. Plug the switch in after the modem, use a cat5 cable and sit the first wireless router on top of the switch and run the next router up to the second story.

My one trip to the comcast office was hilarious, I was making a payment for someone. Some idiot had moved the TV and the cable didn't work anymore, the woman behind the counter asked her if she had unplugged the cable, the idiot kept saying she set it back on top of the TV where it was before, why doesn't it work?

We had a good run America.

Posted by matlock on Jul. 03, 2010 @ 11:53 am

I honestly don't think there is a worse company than comcast. I'd like to see the bankrupt and there executives in jail just for the countless hours they waste of working American's time. I've given Crapcast at honest try and in 2 months, my boxes have broken 3 times which means countless calls to their borderline retarded technicians, sitting on hold and taking time off work for there 'techs" and I use that term loosely to come replace the box. Now that I've put in the cancellation, not one idiotic person on the other end of the phone has asked why or offered to do anything about these complete service failures, but I'm sure I'll get the stupid offers in the mail the moment I'm a verizon customer. I'm not excited about switching to verizon and paying more, but I truly wish comcast would just vanguish and go away for good.

Posted by Guest on Jul. 27, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

Need to keep this article going! I hate the amount of money i'm spending on tv and internet! The thing is that Internet alone costs just as much as internet and tv together.. but then they start charging you more and more! I went from $86 a month to $120!

Crapcast is EVIL!

Posted by Guest on Jul. 31, 2010 @ 12:13 am

I have a GREAT IDEA people---- Don't subscribe to cable!!!! I understand that some of you may need internet access, but don't give comcast any more business that you have to! Go to the library, read more, garden more, be outside more. Do other things that enrich your life besides giving comcast your hard earned money!!

Posted by Guest Terry on Aug. 01, 2010 @ 7:50 am

Posted by Guest Terry on Aug. 01, 2010 @ 7:53 am

Comcast used to not charge for services call. Wanna know why they stopped? Because customer were either not home when a tech showed up, run their own wires and f**ked things up, or just don't want to troubleshoot over the phone because they think they know more about Internet, TV, and Phone service. Most of the customers calling in: Don't know what version of Windows/Mac they use. Many can't tell the difference between a modem or a router, or if they even have a router. And MANY don't know how to set up their HDTV. Comcast shouldn't have to educate customers about their own TVs, and computers. That's the customer's responsibility! Then lets not forget about those customer that don't pay their bills...if your service has been shut off for NON payment, do blame Comcast. Blame youself for not paying. Lastly! I'm tired of hear Comcast prices are too high! If they're too high then, then why are you continuing to stay with Comcast? STOP! I don't want to hear that same old excuse. "Comcast has a MONOPOLY! B*LL SH*T! Comcast has no monopoly! Don't blame any company if they're to only ones in a certain area. Many areas have many choices. AT&T does phone, TV, and Internet. Direct TV is another choice.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 03, 2010 @ 3:25 pm

Are you F***ing kidding me?! Comcast and AT&T merged in a 2001 deal to create a cable giant. If that's not a monopoly I don't know what is. Of course they're going to try to get away with providing the lowest service possible because it costs them less, and they KNOW customers do not have many choices! "AT&T does phone, TV, and Internet. Direct TV is another choice."-Choices my A**! Noticed you only gave TWO choices, since AT&T is part of Comcast, that only leaves us with ONE other choice right?! If you know of any other internet/cable companies please share because I'd sure as heck love to switch! And it's pretty obvious you work for Comcast.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 14, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

Comcast sucks even more than AT&T! My internet connection dies every 3 minutes, at least with AT&T it was only once a week or month and I was always able to reach a live representative who could help me! I called Comcast Customer Service and got an automated message stating they were aware of the problem and were working to fix it...Exactly how long do they expect me to wait for them to fix this problem?! This has been a problem from day 1 (everyday for almost 2 weeks now)! I have online classes and thought I was getting reliable service since I am obviously paying for it. What a hassle, I will have to return all this equipment and go back with AT&T and pay that $149 installation fee I was trying to avoid!

Posted by Guest on Aug. 14, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

Are you F***ing kidding me?! Comcast and AT&T merged in a 2001 deal to create a cable giant. If that's not a monopoly I don't know what is. Of course they're going to try to get away with providing the lowest service possible because it costs them less, and they KNOW customers do not have many choices! "AT&T does phone, TV, and Internet. Direct TV is another choice."Choices my A**! Noticed you only gave TWO choices, since AT&T is part of Comcast, that only leaves us with ONE other choice right?! If you know of any other internet/cable companies please share because I'd sure as he11 love to switch! And it's pretty obvious you work for Comcast.

Posted by Guest on Aug. 14, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

I live in Connecticut and we have 4 main choices for television service. Comcast Cable, AT&T UVerse, Direct TV and Dish network. Now if you need services beyond just TV such as phone and internet, you are down to just the first two. Sure you can get Vonage or use MagicJack (which sucks if nobody that reads this has ever used it) but you still need to get your internet somewhere. I need internet at my home and my office to be able to effectively do my job and give my customers good customer service - something completely foreign to Comcast techs and customer support.

Complaints:

- I have had comcast for 5 years now. After nothing but problems with their service, DVR glitches, 6 DVR boxes, 2 HD boxes and almost daily on demand blackouts I have had enough. In the last year I have had to ask for 2 extensions on my bill as I was more worried about keeping my employees rather than paying my cable bill on time after an abysmal year, each time paying ALL of my past due on the date in question, not just the minimum due. As of this month I had to use personal money to make payroll, again due to the economy, so I asked for an extension and was flat out denied. "We are sorry sir, but as you have already had 2 this year, our policy has changed that you have to be approved for any extensions and you were not." No wiggle room even though I know that credit and collections can override ANYTHING in the system, they have all the power in that company. I finally talked to a customer service rep and THEY overrode it and gave me the time I needed. Funny how the customer service rep who doesn't have ANY power did something credit and collections is powerless to do.

- A year ago I got comcast business, lured in by their "Faster than DSL and T1" advertisements. I got their business class triple play including my phone and even a little TV (Paid the tech to give us extra channels, shhhh) I fought and fought and fought with Comcast to WIRE the building because service was not available there. Finally with pressure from all of the tenants from the plaza where I lease from, the landlord called up Comcast and had Comcast wire the whole plaza. Now, with brand new wiring, you would think that you would get fabulous service, fast internet, clear TV and a great phone quality. WRONG. Day 2, TV is out and I've had Dial Up work faster. Tech comes back, he's a great guy, very helpful and friendly. He tells me the box they gave him to give us for the TV is fried, replaces it and the TV works fine. He tells me the previous tech installed our internet correctly but had 90% of the signal going to the supermarket 2 doors down because they were paying the highest premiums. He fixed it so that it was evenly distributed. Since then my internet goes out on a regular basis and I have horrible static on my telephone at times. My business depends on my internet and phone access. Without it, I can't compete with my varied competition.

- When I started with Comcast, my total bill was $129.99 including Starz, HBO and a few other movie channels including TMC. IMO, TMC has the best selection of movies in the whole lineup. 4 months after, TMC throws a hissy fit and tells Comcast they want to be their own selection and not be included in any packages. So we lose TMC from our package and are not offered any compensation in the form of a fee reduction. COMCAST DOES NOT REWARD LOYALTY!!!! To this day my cost has gone up and up and up, my bill is now between $194.00 and $212.00. They still haven't been able to explain to me why it can vary by up to $18 a month even when my payment is all caught up. It came time to renegotiate yet again this month. They told me that the best they could do for me was to give me less service (lose most of my movie channels) and charge me $10 MORE. How does that work?

Fixes:

- Better fucking equipment. You get AT&T and any other cable company, you get a nice new shiny, CLEAN box. The ones you get from Comcast are antiquated at best.

- SPEND all this inane amount of money that you are charging us to upgrade your wiring throughout our city.

- More customer service reps at the office and here's a shocker, how about you get a kiosk for people who just want to pay their bill like AT&T has? At least help THOSE people get out of there before they grow old and die.

- COST LESS YOU BLOODSUCKING LEECHES!!!

Posted by Merrick on Aug. 20, 2010 @ 3:32 am

Don't worry the end is coming to comcast.
They will pay all there rip offs. There college business managers will put them out of
business because all they know how to do is is either rip off the customers. To try and make money for the comoany.

Posted by Guest on Sep. 21, 2010 @ 3:02 am

Yes, Comcast so SUCKS. Whever trying to manage my account by log-in, it takes forever to be done (super ultra slow.) How come an internet service provider company can't manage its webiste properly?

Posted by Guest on Oct. 14, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

I've been dealing with a hassle, calling Comcast billing center over and over again.
After having the service for 10 days, we were not happy and canceled it.
Now we got charged for 10 days because... we didn't 'try' it up to 30 days.

We were informed by their customer supervisor that we need to pay for the 10 day- service.
According to ms. Corie (Customer service supervisor) that if you 'try' up to 30 days, there will be no charge.

Has any one run into this mess?

On Comcast Customer guarantees: "We will give you a 30-day money back guarantee on our services". No other fine-print I can find about this.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 27, 2010 @ 9:09 am

Hey all, just wanted to chime in and give my two cents. The biggest problem with any company like Comcast is the customer service is pretty hard to deal with. Whether it is long lines at their office as the article points out, ridiculously long waiting on phone calls, or just customer service reps who don't care at all, most of these corporate companies are tough whether they are cable, internet, phone, satellite, etc.

The secret is to buy local. Most of these companies (satellite and wireless especially) have local authorized retailers who can set you up with service, and it makes a HUGE difference in the customer service in the long run. You don't have to deal with corporate call centers and can often get support from the same person who sold you the service in the first place.

We are a local retailer for DISH Network and DIRECTV, so if we can help anyone get set up, we are happy to do so at (650) 276-DISH or http://www.satelliteicc.com. But the biggest thing we can emphasize is that you should buy local across the board whenever possible with these types of services. The deals are the same (sometimes better with local if anything), and it will save you a lot of pain in the long run!

Posted by Satellite ICC on Oct. 27, 2010 @ 4:25 pm