Why Comcast sucks

Ever wonder why Comcast routinely ranks among the worst companies in America for customer service? Let me tell you a story.

So my cable box stopped working, which meant I couldn't get the Giants games and my daughter couldn't watch Hannah Montana, which was something of a crisis in the Redmond household. So I called Comcast, and the nice woman on the phone tried a remote diagnosis, and told me the box was fried. "But don't worry," she said. "Just drop it by our office and we'll give you a new one right away."

Just drop it by our office. Here's that that means: You arrive at the cramped, airless spot on Potrero and 16th and wait. And wait. And wait. When I got there, the line was 21 people long, and four customer service clerks were trying their best to sort out a wide range of problems -- bill problems, service problems, people wanting more channels problems ... by the time I got to the front, 41 minutes had passed, and the line stood at 28 people. There wasn't any more room in the office; the 29th person was going to have to stand out on the street.

"It's always like this," an older woman in the line complained. And she's right -- at least, every time I've ever been there, the lines been long, the wait's been long and every single person in the room was unhappy.

Here's what's going on: In the old days, when your cable service didn't work, they sent a repair person to your house, and that person either fixed the problem or installed new equipment. Now it's up to me to unscrew the box (easy enough for me, though maybe not for everyone), take my time to go wait in line for a new one, and reinstall it (again, easy for me, maybe not for everyone.) So I'm already saving Comcast the money it used to spend sending a trained technician to my house.  Now I'm paying, with my own time, to wait while an inadequate number of service people try to handle far too many problems.

Brian Roberts is the CEO of Comcast. I've sent him a note that says the following:

1. You need to hire more people for customer service. If you don't want to pay to send techs out to my house, then properly staff your offices. Most people have jobs, and can't afford to spend an hour or more (with travel time) to exchange a piece of your equipment every time it breaks.

2. Set up some orderly lines. One line for simple exchanges of gear, one for billing problems, one for people who want to spend 30 minutes deciding on a service upgrade. Even the DMV gets that; it shouldn't be so hard.

3. But more reliable gear.

4. Or: Cut your prices. I'm paying way, way too much money to put up with this shit.

Comments

Yeah, rant about Comcast. Sure, they rip people off, but why watch TV anyway? Take it as a great opportunity to go TV-free and spend more time enjoying the wonderful, unique city that is SF. Plus, you save money.

Posted by Guest on Oct. 30, 2010 @ 8:45 pm

I find the hypocrisy of some of these posts hilarious. Complain about prices, as you use cable internet to click the send button and transmit your comment. Cable is a luxury; it isn't free.. If you have problems you are obviously just too stupid to make your services work. Go read about computers and learn to power cycle your router before whining about comcast.

Posted by Guest on Nov. 01, 2010 @ 7:56 pm

Over a period of four years comcrap accidently listed and published my nonpublished number then they charged me for services I did not order. It got better when they offered me a credit for not showing up for an appointment and then refused to credit me as I never had the conversation nor did I have the appointment. Then came the cancellation process....this is amazing. On October 16th I called to cancel my cable on the 22nd, they told me someone would come out to shut off my cable but I did not need to be home. When I arrived home in the evening, I went to unhook my upstairs box, I accidentaly clicked the on button on the remote and realized my tv and cable turned on and I quickly called comcrap, they told me my cable would be turned off that evening, it was evening. The next morning, I decide to unhook the downstairs box and out of curiosity decide to try and turn on the cable and you guessed right it is still working, so I call again and I am told it will definitely be shut off that day and they no longer come out to shut off your cable, they do it when you return the equipment. At 10:30 AM after waiting in line, I return the equipment and ask the woman at the counter to make sure my cable is shut off and she assures me that it is and I will be getting a refund, this is October 23rd. Moving on to November 11th....I call Comcrap and the automated system tells me I have a rather large balance, now I'm mad, I get a woman on the phone who tells me my cable is still on!? I get a manager who tells me I never called to have it shut off, are you kidding me? I go through the entire scenario above and tell her not only do I want my refund immediately but I want a $50.00 credit for their missed appt on the 22nd. She informs me it will be 30 more days and she will have to research to see if I really had an appt on the 22nd, really? I just want my money but as you can see Comcrap is really difficult to deal with and you will never see a credit from Comcrap because when they do not show for an appt they will just tell you that you never had one!

Posted by Guest on Nov. 14, 2010 @ 6:24 pm

comcast had disabled the internet in my area, but not completely because then we would all get credited on the bill. call customer service and guess what? $30 for a tech to come out, to fix their mistake, and he didnt even fix it. of course, we still had to pay for his precious time.

dont ever bother with comcast. trust me. try to watch a video and read a wiki page, they force your modem to reset because you used a little too much bandwidth.

WHEN YOU PAY FOR A SERVICE, THE SERVICE SHOULD BE GIVEN! how is this not illegal?

you know, in a "Free market" someone would of created an isp that did things the right way. even if it costs $5 more

Posted by Guest on Nov. 21, 2010 @ 1:32 am

I love the way comcrap works. why hire people to actually solve problems when you could hire even less people and have them post positive crap about comcast all over the internet.

im 63, it literally hurts my hands to unscrew cable lines. I shouldn't have to even touch THEIR equipment. but no I, the consumer, must troubleshoot their junk. I have to wait on the phone for hours just to get hung up on

but in all honesty, every isp is pretty much the same. as long as you pay, they dont care. as long as they can trick you into paying more, they will. hell they create a "problem" and get a ton of customer calls, then they make a few thousand dollars by sending out techs to "fix" the imaginary problem.

bet they cut my internet before i can post this

Posted by Guest on Nov. 21, 2010 @ 1:40 am

I called Comcast in October to cancel my service - cable, phone and internet - and told them to cancel it on the same day. The person I talked to said said she would. He did not. I called again on December 7, 2010, and was told it won't be cancelled until December 21st.
I'm being billed for a service I don't want.

Is there a way to file a class-action lawsuit against Comcast or take some other legal action?

Posted by Guest on Dec. 09, 2010 @ 12:21 am

Make sure you don't get a letter from the collection agency.
Comcast is very good at that, including for not sending you a bill and after you made several phone calls.

I'd write a formal letter to

- Brian Roberts, CEO
brian_roberts@comcast.com
One Comcast Center
1701 JFK Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19103
(215) 286-1700

- And FCC
Hard Copy Filing Addresses

(Hand or Messenger Delivered accepted between 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. only)
Marlene H. Dortch, Secretary
Federal Communications Commission
Office of the Secretary
445 12th Street, SW,
Room TW-A325
Washington, DC 20554

(Commercial overnight mail, EXCEPT United States Postal Service)
Marlene H. Dortch, Secretary
Federal Communications Commission
Office of the Secretary
9300 East Hampton Drive
Capitol Heights, MD 20743

(All other mail, INCLUDING United States Postal Service Express Mail, Priority Mail, and First Class Mail)
Marlene H. Dortch, Secretary
Federal Communications Commission
Office of the Secretary
445 12th Street, SW
Washington, DC 20554

I decided to pay $17.25 for service which supposed to be '30 days money back guarantee'

Posted by Guest on Dec. 13, 2010 @ 6:11 am

Problems i have faced:

- In a 3 month period of time i called customer service 8 times. Each time they rebooted my box. The 5th through the 8th time the reboot didn't work so the sent a tech. By the time a tech arrived (a couple of days later) it was working again (presumably from the reboot). It wasn't until the 8th time that i reached someone who was able to do more than to take my name and reboot the box. Ended up being an upgrade to the box that was corrupted and it never installed correctly. Also, getting credit for the downtime wasn't doable.
- When Comcrap bought out the old provider then "Product and Service enhancements" Raised my bill from $100 a month to $180. It's the same equipment (1 cable box - same box i have always had) and the same channels. Have noticed that the SAME EXACT CHANNELS repeat over and over - 2 standard listings and 3 HD listings for the same channels.
- When I recently replaced my modem comcast wanted me to turn in my old one. Both of which I bought from a store, not from comcast (I couldn't see paying rent). This really isn't an issue as the old modem doesn't work anymore. But it's the thought that they have somehow gained possession of my stuff.
- Rude, Rude, Rude. If your gonna dry f@#ck in my arse without lube, at least do it with a smile there buddy and offer me a reach around. Really, is it that bad - oh wait, i guess it is (you lie the bed you make).
- Under staffing - The DMV is better than this place
- Internet usage cap. There is a limit for ALL residential customers of 250 GB a month. They state this is plenty. But i have 3 computers, 2 game systems, and more importantly I stream movies and tv (through the game consoles and my blue ray player). If you go over this limit the first offense is a warning. The second offense is being disconnected without being allowed to reconnect for 12 months.

I will be switching to another provider shortly. Thankfully there are some options in my area.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 21, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

Great site you have here. I thought my latest post would interest you!

Posted by Jay@Dishtvblog on Dec. 22, 2010 @ 12:21 am

I was conned into bundled service after CS Rep promised me phone w/ Comcast would be cheaper than with Qwest. Promised me my bill would be $114 month. Also promised credit to reimburse all installation charges.
Now, Here is my online billing summary.
Previous Bill
Previous Balance $66.87 (before I added phone- this is for cable internet and limited basic cable)
Current Bill (12/9 - 1/8)
Service (Recurring charges) $175.14 (for WHAT exactly???)
One-time fees, PPV, Usage (Non-recurring charges) cr $0.89
Taxes, surcharges, fees $21.22
Total bill $195.47 (How...what?!)
Payments/Credits
Credit posted - Thank you cr $20.00
Payment received 11/18 - Thank you $66.87
Credit posted - Thank you cr $27.00 (i had to call 5 times and finally contact the Better Business Bureau to get this credit for a service call they charged me for without telling me anything cost anything.)
Credit posted - Thank you cr $20.00
Payment received 12/21 - Thank you $128.47
Total payments received $262.34 (I have no idea why this is on here)
Total (previous + current) due 12/30/2010 $0.00
Other strange Comcast behavior: They added a $1.99 protection plan which I didn't request to my bill, but lucky they did since I've had to make so many calls to them for dropped internet service, cable channels not working, and dropped phone service. They switched me to paperless. They asked for my password to fix my smartzone center and when I didn't call back immediately, they did it anyway.

Posted by Guest on Dec. 24, 2010 @ 9:24 am

one way to get slightly better help from a phone call is to ask to speak to someone in the USA. They don't seem to use the script given to those in foreign countries. Also it costs Comcast a lot more to have someone from this country attempt to help you. It may even save an American a job.

Posted by Guest on Jan. 15, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

Comcast is one of the worse service providers ever! I switched to Dish Network about 3.5 years ago, no major complaints with them. They have their act together. Comcast is now merging with NBC, so now they will ruin NBC for good. Bad decision deal NBC, you blew it!

Posted by Guest on Jan. 27, 2011 @ 7:51 pm

When Comcast Fired Keith Olbermann, I canceled Comcast. I now have a lot more money and I feel better about myself.

Posted by Guest Bill Blazenski on Feb. 04, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

I suppose everyone has had a bad experience with a company one time or another. I had a bad experience with Comcast too but it was one out of 3 tries. I wouldn't want to have Comcast back in the future because even if I forgive them for the poor TV/internet reliability I still have to pay more for TV. I like competition and even though I work for DISH Network, I have to thank Comcast for making us look good. Now we have free HD for everyone that qualifies and that is helping to switch customers from Comcast in our area here. Like one of the guests that posted here not everyone can get signal where they live but now that I have a southern facing apartment (which I looked for when I moved) I am getting DISH installed after not having any cable for almost 2 years. I would rather have crappy free local TV than pay (through the wazoo) for cable especially when I can get free HD at DISH. Besides it's the same channels. I looked at the channels both DISH and Comcast offer and there aren't any channels DISH has that Comcast doesn't.

Posted by Bryon on Feb. 15, 2011 @ 6:54 pm

So we've been without Comcast for about 6 months now, going the "rabbit ears antennae" and watching t.v. off the computer route. Then, we decide to take advantage of a special offer for new customers from Comcast/Xfinity. Since they don't reward customer loyalty, we figured we'd get some cheaper deal for a year or 2, then cancel again. Well -- let's just say that we couldn't even get to the install.

My 30 minutes of online chat to place the order already had me fuming (bad information & wrong charges that I kept having to correct). Then, I took off early from work to meet the installer (because, of course, my address did not qualify for the $9.95 self-install deal ... does anyone qualify for that?). My window was 4pm to 6pm. The installer called me at 12:30 and left a voicemail asking if he could come early because he was in the area (I was at work, couldn't answer the phone). I didn't call back because I was working. I got home at 3:45. My neighbor said the Comcast guy had come at 3:00. I checked my phone and he had called at 3:10 but had not left a voicemail (Comcast had told me he'd call 15 minutes before he would show up). I called him at 3:54 and left him a voicemail reminding him of my 4-6pm appt. window (I included my phone #, address, name, etc.). Then I waited. And waited. Called main Comcast phone #, pressed a button for a call back to tell me when the installer was coming (and, btw, the recording said that my appt. window was 4-6pm). Waited some more. Never got the call back. Called again and talked to a person who told that my window was 12-2pm and that the installer had come but no one was home. Well Doh! I was at work! The installer had not logged the time into their system so they actually didn't know what time he showed up -- how convenient.

Hey, wait a minute, if my time frame was 12-2, why did he come at 3:00? It doesn't even make sense. I was told it was too late to send out an installer and that I'd have to reschedule. I yelled at the rep, loudly (yes, I did -- I was pretty livid) and asked for a supervisor. After a very long wait, some guy came on the line who sounded like he was half asleep, said the same thing over and over ("I apologize. You'll have to reschedule.") and offered me $20. I told him to send over an installer instead and pay him/her the $20 for overtime.

I then told them to CANCEL the order. Now I'm looking at DirecTV (anyone have experience with them?) since AT&T Uverse is not offered in my Oakland, CA neighborhood.

Why did I think this time would be any different than the last time I was their customer (incorrect billing, bad customer service, etc.).???

Unbelievable.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 15, 2011 @ 10:13 pm

Comcast will bill you for service you don't want and then charge you late fees. Bend over for the corporations. As long as they grease the politicians, we have no hope. The only chance we have is to stop paying, hope they cut off service, and die deep in debt. Fuck it.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 16, 2011 @ 9:51 pm

I downgraded to just basic internet. My charge for month 1 is $ 1.61 more than what I paid for a bundled package. Next month ! save a whopping 70 cents a month for not having Basic 1 cable TV.They charged me a one time fee of $1.99 to change levels of service. Since Commie Cast acquired T.W. H.S. Internet will cost me $18.35 a month more. We need more competition.

Posted by Guest on Feb. 28, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

I made it clear, in my initial chat to get everything set up (the $99 2-year package) was to get my phone # ported over from Vonage. The rep in the chat said that it was underway. It wasn't. I called in on 8/31, spoke with Operator LGY who said that there was an error & was going to resubmit the process & call me today, 9/4. He did not. I called in yet again today and spoke to a manager who said that he would have a rep call me back to get the port re initiated YET AGAIN. They did not. Comcast simply does not care about their customers. They lie, they overpromise, and they have simply forgotten what it means to provide customer service. I inquired about switching away from them at one point last year and all of the sudden when I hung up, my internet was disconnected and I went through 3 hours of troubleshooting to get it up and running again. They simply do not care, they are vindictive and retaliatory - THEY DO NOT CARE!!!!! If there's a problem, they won't call you back or email you. If they say they will follow up with you, THEY WILL NOT. THEY DO NOT CARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am FINALLY making headway, after nearly 3 weeks since my initial setup, of getting my phone # ported over from Vonage. Unbelievable. Your story is absolutely terrible. I myself own a business and if I treated my customers this way, I would be out of business. They have grown bloated and fat and lazy...they try to trap you in voice mail and online chats so that they don't have to actually talk to you, it's ridiculous. A little secret I learned when calling in, press "0" 3x even after the voice prompt lady says "that's not a valid option" and you'll be directed to customer service. COMCAST SUCKS!!!!!!!! To further illustrate how sneaky they are: I always pay my bill on time and usually pay over what is due in the event that in some future month I might be able to skip a bill. I had a $66 credit on my bill. When I complained about all these problems (multiply so), they gave me a credit for one month of $125. But in doing so, they swallowed up my existing credit of $66. So basically, I've paid them $66 and they just conveniently "forgot about it", thinking that I wouldn't notice. UNBELIEVABLE GALL!!!! I totally WISH there would be a class-action lawsuit. I see these commercials about the "Comcast" guarantee and just laugh and shake my head, incredulous. And now they're trying to hide behind the new name "XFinity" - like no one knows that that's actually Comcast. Give me a break. Lord, PLEASE bring Verizon Fios to Seattle NOW and I will be customer NUMERO UNO.

Posted by Ryan on Mar. 04, 2011 @ 10:16 am

I ordered a cable box it got to me 8mnths late! I called over and over ugh

Posted by Guest on Mar. 11, 2011 @ 8:55 am

First, I hate the company I work for.. pure and simple. Customer loyalty doesnt matter, how long you've been with us doesnt help you at all. Everyone complains about how new custs get better deals and its absolutely true, probably will never change. But, there are tons of current customer sales available if you know how to get them. I work in the customer retention dept. I get paid comission by how many customers i save so you have a willing audience when you call us. However, management has a rock solid grip on when you can give out promos. I am not allowed to give you a promo unless you threaten to dx. You dont have to get all dramatic about it, just say "im shopping around and wanted to see what you have to keep me." Soooo many people call in and ask what promos we have avail. If you ask that question you will always be told there's nothing available. Ever wonder why your buddy called in and got a great deal, but when you call in they say theres nothing out right now?? It's because ur buddy said disconnect and you didnt. We both hate those long, angry 30 minute long calls where we get nothing done because you wont say disconnect. They monitor how much money you're giving out without a customer save being tracked so i wont give you anything unless you tell me what i need to hear. TELL YOUR FRIENDS PLEASE!! I want to help just as much as you want that new promo. Help me help you.

Posted by Pissed comcast employee on Mar. 16, 2011 @ 7:36 pm

I'm not sure comcast is all there...

SYSTEM:
Attempting to connect you with an operator...
SYSTEM:
Ryan has entered the conversation.
Ryan:
Hello, Bundle and Save with the Comcast Triple Play! It includes Digital Cable, High Speed Internet and Digital Phone.
Ryan:
Pleased to have you on chat. How are you doing today?
doing well thanks.
Ryan:
How can I assist you today, Drew?
Drew:
can you tell me via chat if hi speed internet is available at my home? I just talked to Melvin who jerked me around for 10 minutes and then ended the chat when I didn't want to get a phone call. Just want to know if it is an option for me.
can you tell me that?
Ryan:
I am happy to help you with that.
Ryan:
In order to locate the best promotions in your area, may I please have your complete address (including apartment or unit number if applicable) with zip code.
hidden address
park city ut 84098
Ryan:
Thank you very much for that information.
Ryan:
May I know what services you currently have with Comcast?
none
Ryan:
Thank you. Please hold for a moment while I research your information.
Ryan:
Thank you for your patience, Drew.
Ryan:
Great news, special offers are available in your area! May I have my specialist contact you with the offer details?
Ryan:
May I please have the best phone number where my specialist can contact you currently?
are you there?
can you tell me that?
Ryan:
I completely understand, I would be more than happy to assist you over the chat.
ok
Ryan:
With High Speed Internet you will receive Racing Speeds 2-3X Faster than 3 Mbps DSL and Free Security Software with Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware & More.
Ryan:
I am sure you will love the service.
Drew:
so far I don't love the customer service.
Ryan:
The price of internet is $29.99 per.month which is a promotional offer for 6 months after which the regular price is $59.95 per month
I can't get a straight answer
can
i
get
it
at
my
house?
Ryan:
Drew, the price of internet is $29.99 per.month which is a promotional offer for 6 months after which the regular price is $59.95 per month
Download Speed 12.00 Mbps
Upload Speed 2.00 Mbps
you're killing me
is
it
available?
Ryan:
Drew, all the services are available to your address.
Ryan:
The modem can be leased for $5 a month or you can use your own modem.
thanks.

Posted by Drew Izzo on Mar. 28, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

I'm not sure comcast is all there...

SYSTEM:
Attempting to connect you with an operator...
SYSTEM:
Ryan has entered the conversation.
Ryan:
Pleased to have you on chat. How are you doing today?
doing well thanks.
Ryan:
How can I assist you today, Drew?
can you tell me that?
Ryan:
I am happy to help you with that.
hidden address
park city ut 84098
Ryan:
Thank you very much for that information.
Ryan:
May I know what services you currently have with Comcast?
none
Ryan:
Thank you. Please hold for a moment while I research your information.
Ryan:
Thank you for your patience, Drew.
are you there?
can you tell me that?
ok
Ryan:
I am sure you will love the service.
Drew:
so far I don't love the customer service.
I can't get a straight answer
Upload Speed 2.00 Mbps
you're killing me
is
it
available?
Ryan:
Drew, all the services are available to your address.
Ryan:
The modem can be leased for $5 a month or you can use your own modem.
thanks.

Posted by Drew Izzo on Mar. 28, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

They are the worst fucks on this planet.
Stupid cs reps
transfer you back and forth
They all can suck my dick.
Today they transferred me to a language department, probably cause I was cussing at them.
The rep asked me if I spoke english.
They hang up on you
they put "plugs" of upcoming boxing events on thier outgoing messages
press 1 press 2 press 3 etc then they ask you again when you get a human
What a bunch of fuck ups
HAVE THE USA DEREGULATE THE ASS HOLES.
Tired of fighting with them
But they are the only HS internet around
IM GONNA CALL THEM FOR A SERVICE APPOINTMENT EVERY DAY TO COST THEM MONEY.
Fuck the phillipines, mexico, canada, etc.
Pick up the phone in the USA.
Lazy cheap fucks!