This one is for Newsom(e) fans

One of the most fun parts about attending District Attorney Kamala Harris' victory party last night was looking at all the photos on the walls of the Delancey Street Foundation.

And showing cultural blogger Beth Spotwood, one of the funniest writers in town, a photo of our very own Mayor Gavin Newsom with Delancey Street Foundation founder Mimi Silbert, in which the mayor's name is written as Newsome.

Spotswood, who is a big time fan of Newsom, was delighted by this find. Especially since the photo is displayed close to other photos of the mayor in which his name is correctly spelt (as in the photo of him with Silbert and Tony Blair).

Newsom and Blair aren't the only luminaries on Silbert's walls. In fact, the place is a veritable who's who of the political world, and includes a shot of the late John Kennedy Jr. and his stunningly beautiful wife Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy.

At some point, shortly after Spotswood and I were laughing at the Newsome typo, Silbert showed up in person--and set straight one of the photos, which had somehow gotten cock-eyed on the wall. (I swear we didn't do it.)

That was around the time I averted my eyes from the wall and turned my attention to the giant TV screen --just as Newsom declared victory in the Lt. Gov's race. I didn't hear what he said, but reviewing my pics afterwards, it apparently had something to do with California dreaming.

Comments

Apparently they don't share the sophomoric sense of humor which got you and your pals yucking it up last night and which you feel is worthy of a post here.

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on Jun. 09, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

Lucretia, why so snarky? As you point out, Newsom won overwhelmingly in San Francisco, and the photos of him are kinda delish, regardless of whether you like the man or his politics. Besides, I thought a legal schmeagle like you would be appalled that your hero's name is too often incorrectly displayed, no?

Posted by sarah on Jun. 09, 2010 @ 3:17 pm
LOL

He's hardly my hero but I do agree his pics are delish. Kudos to you for noticing Sarah ;-)

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on Jun. 09, 2010 @ 3:59 pm

Lucretia, Newsom won 74% of SF votes in his 2007 reelection campaign and dropped to 70% this time.

Posted by Alan Collins on Jun. 09, 2010 @ 5:54 pm

Total Newsom votes in 2007 for mayor: 105,596
Total Newsom votes in 2010 for Lt. Gov: 50,755 (so far)

Posted by Alan Collins on Jun. 09, 2010 @ 6:03 pm

Total Newsom votes for mayor in 2007: 105,596
Total Newsom votes for Lt. Gov. in 2010: 50,755 (so far)

Posted by Alan Collins on Jun. 09, 2010 @ 6:09 pm

booze at Newsom's alleged rehab joint. says it all right there. I bet he still drinks.

Posted by GuestoftheBardian on Jun. 09, 2010 @ 10:26 pm

Stunning - absolutely stunning. He might as well throw in the towel now Alan.

Comparing total votes in completely different elections is facetious. This was on off-year primary with turnout of around 25%. It's like comparing Democratic votes for Obama in 2010 to what will no doubt be a lackluster turnout this year and then saying he should forgo seeking the nomination on the basis of his "weak" performance.

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on Jun. 10, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

What it shows, "Lucretia", is that his alleged home-town support is so thin that he can't draw out voters in any serious numbers to show some level of enthusiasm for his political future.

Posted by Alan Collins on Jun. 10, 2010 @ 6:17 pm

Weren't you singing that same old song before while he was reelected, TWICE?

Somehow I doubt Newsom is quaking in his boots at your astute electoral analysis.

Posted by Lucretia Snapples on Jun. 10, 2010 @ 6:46 pm